I love having Followers, Thank You

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Another backward step in the ICU......

Yesterday , last night specifically marked 2 full wks Mom's been in the hospital-The ICU-, fluid levels seemed to be improving, vitals were leveling out some and we were feeling some encouragement. They discussed removing the ventilator/respirator but her throat was too swollen to do so. They added IV steriods to her long list of meds to help with that problem. Yesterday, that problem seemed resolved and they told us they might remove it today (Thursday). They decided she still needed to have more fluids off her lungs to help with the breathing and her vitals and did a double lung tap yesterday (one to each side), however shortly after doing so x-ray indicated the lung may have been punctured in the process. A scan was needed to ascertain that they did in fact punture the lung. Now, in addition to everything else she has a punctured lung and a chest tube was inserted. Another drain, another wound, something else to add to her pain and discomfort. We understand chest tubes do heal pretty well, but are quite painful.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. I truly appreciate it.

I left work early, as soon as I got the call and headed over. I've told them I won't be at work today, and am unsure what tomorrow will bring.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Sandy,

    I am sorry to hear about the turn of events..I feel your pain, as I had been through an ICU with my Dad many years ago..he was on a vent also,and unconcious...after a fall. 2 weeks in that ICU every single day...oh I remember it well.all to well...ICU is the best place for her,as it was my Dad....one/one care...until she
    rebounds....continued prayers and healing thoughts to you...it is most definately a very difficult time for you...you have your husband and family to help you through, and for support...I went through it alone...well, there was only one set of footprints...?

    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck's going to be there most of the day...I'll call you in a bit....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Discouraging chain of events. I can understand not being able to concentrate on anything else. I pray things take an upward swing permanently soon! You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about this latest development with your mom. Hopefully, things will improve very soon.

    Take good care of yourself! Continued prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh darn. I was hoping to pop by here and see that everything was still going well :( Sounds like a possible malpractice thing though. Do lungs get punctured often?

    Argh. I'm thinking of ya sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still keeping you all in my prayers!!! As a nurse, I know these things do happen. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. Chest tubes are uncomfortable, but they help so much! Take care of yourself too, ok? Bunches of hugs and prayers for you all! Beth in VA

    ReplyDelete
  7. continuing to send prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you and keeping you and your mom in my prayers.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there. I know it's been a long 2 weeks, but I'm sure things will start to go better for your mom soon.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.