I love having Followers, Thank You

Monday, April 19, 2010

Noodles over Niagara

Niagara Falls Family PhotoLong long ago, in a planet far far away. Chuckie, Mikie, Mommie, and Sandy. Without the color you may not see what we're all sitting in front of; it's the flowered clock at Niagara Falls. See me wearing pedal pushers....that's right Capri's are not a new style; merely an old one given a new name. Niagara Falls was the first vacation I think we took as a family. We were there I think about 4 days or less. I remember Mom with a fold up iron ironing our clothes on the end of the bed in the hotel room. I remember her talking about how much prettier The Canadian side of the falls was. I remember having fun. Not sure how old we are in this photo.

Noodles. I remember making homemade noodles for the first time with Mom. I remember watching her make noodles before I was old enough to help her. She rolled them out with a roller, stretching and stretching the dough. Then she rolled it up like you would a pinwheel, and cut them. Then to uncurl them she'd lift them off the table over and over until she got the whole pile down, spreading them out so they would dry a bit there on the kitchen table. She made beef and noodles over mashed potatoes. Yum.

I make homemade noodles too, though I use a pasta roller. Though a different method, I always think of you Mom. Thanks for the memories!

I've kept the memory alive by teaching my daughter to make pasta, and a few years ago enlisted the help of my nephews's daughter, my grand niece. And so it continues. Mom's legacy.

Previous Memories:
A=Advice, Afghan, Apples
B=Bread, and Bernie
C=Camping, Creativity and Courage
D=Dancing and Delaware Dam
E=Energy and Etiquette
F=Friday
G=Gown (wedding gown), grape pop
H=Hammocks and Holidays
I=Ice Skating and Isaly's
J=JACKS, Mother and Daughter, childhood games
K=Kindess, something we're taught
L=Love Story
M=Memories, One Year ago Today (Making Do and Mohican)

2 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL MEMORIES TO CHERISH THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. ALWAYS WANTED TO MAKE HOMEMADE NOODLES, MAYBE I'LL TRY IT SOMEDAY. WE HAD A SUMMER HOUSE WITH LOTS OF GARDENS, AND MY MOM WOOD CAN ALL HER VEGGIES, SHE MADE DIFFERENT KINDS OF JELLIES, AND SO MUCH MORE. THERE WERE SIX OF US FOUR BROTHER'S, AND TWO SISTER'S WE HELPED OUR MOM CAN. WE THOUGHT IT WAS A LOT OF FUN, MEMORIES ARE GREAT. RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Buddie,
    Nice picture of a happy time, good memories, I too remember the name of peddle pushers..waaaay back in the day. There is nothing new under the sun...Making noodles sounds fun...I have often thought of getting noodle maker..DH needs to find a job, 1 year soon. We may have to push that noodle machine back a while...probably a long while. But I can still make them the way your mom did..it is all good.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.