I love having Followers, Thank You

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Pretty Pretty Flowers


I love backyard flowers. I like lots of different colors and enjoy looking out the windows at them. Sometimes I think I should get rid of some of flower beds because as I get older the weeding, the mulching...get's to be a bit much. But I do really enjoy them. Many could be picked and brought indoors in a vase, but I rarely do that because they last so much longer outside. These pretty golden yellow Stella De Oro's bloom longer then many of the others in my yard. I like they way they clump and only grow about 2 feet tall, so they make it possible to have something taller behind them. I have these here and there in the yard and they really show up even on a cloudy day.

pink lillies
These Pink Lillie's are one of my favorites. I've babied these and this is the first year they've done this well. I moved them last year. They were close to the house because they have such a wonderful fragrance I wanted to be able to smell them easily. But the dang rabbits, and chipmunks kept eating them. When this plant is just popping it's head out of the ground it's young and tender and apparently they really like that. One year I kept something around it until it was ready to bloom to protect it. Then I removed the standard so it would be prettier and the very next day a rabbit went through and completely snapped it off. I was furious and ready to behead the pest. Some years they...chipmunks, squirrels, or rabbits...unsure which cause I didn't see the culprit actually dug up the bulbs. I kept replanting and everyday it would be dug up again. Anyone want to come hunt in my yard? Sooooooo last year I moved them and they've finally gotten thick enough they apparently don't taste good, as they've left it alone. However.........2 tiny off shoots near them I was looking forward to were completely eaten. errrrrrrrrrrrr Even my neighbor, Kevin remarks how nice these smell. He can enjoy them even from his backyard.

daisiesDaisies, love Shasta Daisies. Mine get so large they look more like a bush as time goes on. Some years I've actually had to tie them up for support because of all the blooms. They're really just starting in this photo. At night, just about dusk they look almost iridescent when I look out my window.






ButtercupsThese are yellow Buttercups, they're pretty but beware....they'll take over your whole flower bed. I've pulled most of these up and have only left a few plants out in the very back of the yard. That particular flower bed is less manicured and has a more wild look to it. Hope you've enjoyed some of the color from my back yard. And maybe next year, you all can come over and help me weed and mulch! lol

3 comments:

  1. I think lillies are probably my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI SANDY,
    YOUR BACKYARD FLOWERS ARE LOVELY. YES, I AGREE ABOUT THE WEEDS, THEY CAN REALLY GET AWAY FROM YOU IF YOU LET THEM GO. A GARDEN IS A JOB AND A HALF, BUT IF YOU LOVE GARDENING YOU DON'T MIND IT. HAVE A NICE DAY. RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy, thank you for the nice comment on my blog. I'm exploring your blog right now. Love the pictures of the flowers! They really look awesome. Especially the pink lillies, they are really lovely! I've never seen them in a garden, only in a vase and I must say they do look much better like this! (-:
    Bye!
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.