I love having Followers, Thank You

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Raindrops on Roses, No Whiskers on Kittens, but Other Things

 

Because it's ugly, drab, cold, wet outside many days now we all need some beauty and color in our lives.  Hubby brought these home for me a few days ago.  Aren't they glorious!!  The edge is pinkish, but the rose is purple.

If you're looking for a festive dish to make for Christmas and or New Years, I highly recommend this veggie mix.  It's so pretty, colorful and yummy.  The bonus is it's healthy and easy.  Cranberries, squash, Brussel sprouts.  I took 2 large casserole dishes for my Thanksgiving family gathering at my youngest nephews house.  Everyone brings something.  I cooked them at home and used those Pyrex heat things you put in the microwave and an insulted carrier.  You season with salt and pepper and olive oil, cook for about 45 minutes on 375, stir a few times.  Test the sprouts to see that they're soft...and browning if you like them a bit more cooked.  You can also add a bit of orange juice, but watch it because it can cause it to brown up too quickly.  I've made it for us before, but this was the first time I made it for the masses (26 people at the gathering), and it was a big hit.  So, I'll be making it again for Christmas Eve.

I realize I never noted my exercise for October or November.  October was really down due to weather, my elbow still not being 100% and it was a month of lots of doctor appointments...routine stuff, but everything came due at once.  Only managed 81.05 miles in October truly down.  November was better with 99.4 miles, but still down from my average.  The good news is, on Dec 1st I started doing planks again, and knee lifts and a few other exercises.  It was like starting over again.   Before hurting my elbow I was doing 50 second planks x 4 with 14 seconds of rest between.  On Dec I started with 30 second planks x 4 with 10 seconds between, and just the other day I was able to up things to 35 seconds x 4 with 10 seconds of rest between.  So, hopefully things are looking up.

An interesting book.  I'm not a tennis player, nor do I even watch it on tv, but thoroughly enjoyed this book about the will power and drive of a professional tennis player.  There's a family story with it, and a love story as well.  A totally different type of book for me; but sometimes you need a bit of change.

This story about Audrey Hepburn was fascinating.  I knew a little of her background, but didn't know how involved her mother was with the Nazi's, or how much she herself was involved with all things happening around her during World War II.  I highly recommend this book.

What a let down this book was.  I sorta forced myself to read/listen to the whole book, only because I LOVED Diana Babaldon's Outlander Series so much, I thought perhaps it would get better.  It didn't!!  Part of it might have been my expectations.  Things were left very much up in the air with Lord John when Outlander came to a finish, and I wrongly assumed this would pick up the story from there.  It didn't.  I don't know how many books are in this series, but I won't be searching them out.

Came across this picture from a hundred years ago.  Christmases of my childhood looks so different then Christmases of today, lol.  I think the dress was yellow, and probably flesh colored tights.  I hope you're all gearing up for a festive holiday season, whatever holiday you celebrate.

Not much progress on the baby blanket, but hopefully the next picture will be when it's completed.

Still posting about my 14 day tour of The UK.  Here's day 8, part I, Edinburgh, Scotland

38 comments:

  1. Hello Sandy, Thank you for your kind comment on my blog which allowed me to discover Sandy’s Space. I enjoyed taking a look at your blog. You covered a lot of things I enjoy … flowers, an interesting veggie mix, exercise, and book reviews. And that doesn’t even include the delightful photo of you a “few” Christmases ago. 😊 Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit John, will add you to my blog list. Yes, indeed just a few Christmas's ago, lol.

      Delete
  2. Those roses are gorgeous and perfect to brighten up a cold dark December day.
    The Audrey Hepburn book looks an interesting read, a book I can see myself reading.
    Think I'm nearing the finishing line for festive prep but I won't say it too loud as there is always that last hurdle that gets in the way!! Happy Christmas/holiday celebrations to you and the family x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on not saying it out loud, there's always something. And wonderful holidays to you as well.

      Delete
  3. Love the purple roses, they are beautiful. We have a veggie dish that is similiar to yours. Cranberries, sweet potatoes, apples tossed with orange juice, it is delicious. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, making a note your veggie mix sounds yummy as well. Need to give it a try.

      Delete
  4. Hello, oh my, thank you for sharing the Audrey Hepburn book. I knew a little of her background during the war, but nothing of her mother.
    The roses make me smile, what a lovely color.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you read the book about Audrey, I really loved it. The purple roses make me smile as well. Glad you enjoyed the picture.

      Delete
  5. As much as I loved all of Reid’s other books, I just couldn’t get into Carrie Soto. Too much tennis talk, and this coming from a mom of a former Jr USTA ranked player!

    I did read the Lord John book when it first came out because I loved the first Outlander book. I don’t remember loving or disliking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny with your tennis background. I'm surprised since I have none I didn't mind all the tennis talk. I'm thinking if you don't remember if you liked or didn't like Lord John, the book made zero impression...not a selling point is it.

      Delete
  6. The veg look delicious! I often roast potatoes, onion and carrots. I know I'd like this option, but I'm certain my son would not.
    Glad to hear you are feeling better and able to get back to your exercises in earnest.
    I'm with you, the Gabaldon books beyond the Outlanders series have not met the same level. The book about Audrey Hepburn sounds very interesting.
    Merry Christmas to you and your extended family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I'm not alone in feeling her books beyond Outlander were subpar. Merry Christmas to you as well.

      Delete
  7. Awww, what a gorgeous photo, I love looking at old photos. The Audrey Hepburn book sounds interesting. Like you, I know a little about her early years but it sounds like there's more to learn. Your veggie mix looks fabulous, a good way to get some colour on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love old photo's too and thought it fun when I came across this one. Let me know what you think if you read the book.

      Delete
  8. I became interested in tennis becase of my fascination of Serbian player Novak Djokovic. He's a phenomenon, number 1 in singles. I'll read any book about him or by him.
    So far, I've read only articles , no books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy the book about Carrie Soto's given your interest.

      Delete
  9. Those roses are gorgeous. We all need beauty in our lives. Always.
    Your exercise puts me to shame. I hear you on a month of appointments though. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your appointments weren't for anything serious. I have my ups and downs with exercise, but I keep trying. Hubby's on a roll with unusual roses of late.

      Delete
  10. Audrey Hepburn's WWII experiences were very challenging. -deprivation at every turn. I hope you and yours have a Happy Holiday, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Bea, though I think Audrey faired better than many given her mothers "connections". Still couldn't have been easy growing up with that all around you. I found the book fascinating. Happy Holidays to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  11. More lovely roses to enjoy. I need to read the Audrey Hepburn book - like some other people, I know a little of her life, but will be interested to find out more. She loved gardening later in life. I love that photo!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't know about the gardening, thanks for the info. I have a few other books about her on my list. Best wishes to you and yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely and bright veggies. I will need to remember this the next time I need to make a big batch.

    Oh my, I think I just might have had that same dress as a little girl.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet your dress couldn't have been much different, that was the style of our times, lol.

      Delete
  14. Mmmm, that roast veggie mix does sound good and certainly looks colourful and festive! And that black-and-white photo looks like Christmases of my childhood too. I remember those damn flesh-coloured tights. They always seemed to bag at the knees. My mother forced me to wear dresses that looked very similar to yours, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bag at the knees..........oh yeah, I well remember that too. Memories.

      Delete
  15. ...Sandy I wish you a Bright and Merry Christmas. ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4:05 PM

    What a lovely colourful recipe consisting of veggies. I'm always on the look-out for such as I rarely ever eat meat.
    The roses are gorgeous and so is the picture of little you 💗
    Merry Christmas, Granny M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Granny please use name and url when you comment and not anonymous.

      Delete
  17. I loved Carrie Soto, but Taylor Jenkins Reid is a favorite author for me. I didn't love Malibu Rising--I was definitely in the minority with that one--but everything else has been a thumbs up. I'll have to check out Dutch Girl!

    I love that photo of you as a little girl! I'll have to dig one of mine out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, will have to check out some of the other books by this author.

      Delete
  18. The roses are beautiful. I have one similar called Charles DeGaulle and it's blooming now as it's summer.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know the name of the rose, thank you and enjoy the summer. I'm envious.

      Delete
  19. The roses are just beautiful and that meal made me hungry. Wishing you all the best for Christmas.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sandy - thanks for your visit to my blog and your comment! I loved your Christmas photo from yesteryear - I was particularly struck by the tinsel - we always had tinsel when I was a kid, and it was a struggle to separate the strands due to the static! My brothers were always sneaking one onto the back of my head when I wasn't looking! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute story about your brother, and fun memory.

      Delete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.