I love having Followers, Thank You

Monday, January 01, 2024

New Years, Stash Busting, Exercising and Books!

 

Happy New Year to you all.  This was a LONG time ago, neither hubby or I had gray.  Plus, we no longer party out over New Years.  We were skiing in Holiday Valley back in the day, had party hats, noise makers etc.  Hope you all had an enjoyable and safe New Years.  We had a nice meal, toasted in the New Year with some bubbly, then called it a night.  I'm feeling tired today, not used to staying up that late.

Sherbet Baby Blanket is finally done!!  It's drying and being slightly blocked.  I edged with a small crocheted ruffle.  Need to get it in the mail for my great niece.

Haven't recorded exercise in a while.  October I knew was well down, but hadn't recorded the stats.  81.05 miles (average of 2.6 daily), November was better 99.4 miles (average of 3.31 daily).  December was up at 109.15miles (average 3.5 daily).  My high for December was 23,341 steps (10 miles with a low of 4,019 just 2 miles.  I'm pleased that steps/mileage is up...AND Starting Dec 1st I was able to start doing planks again...my elbow no longer a problem.  Before the injury I was doing 55 second planks with 14 seconds of rest x 4.  When I restarted I started with 30 second planks with 10 second rest x 4 and managed to do that 10 times in December and then upped to 35 seconds x 4 and did that 6 times.  So 16 planks throughout the month.  I also restarted doing knee lifts a count of 50 and did that 12 times in Dec, along with a fast count of 100 walking in place 9 times in the month.  Let's see what January brings.  

This is what 41.5 pounds of yarn looks like!  This is a drop in the bucket of my yarn stash.  My daughter convinced me to do some sorting.  I had lots of baby yarn, variegated knitting worsted, and tons of white and off white yarn that was left from projects, and a good deal of yarn that was donated throughout my 14 years of running a charity that benefited Homeless.  The 41.5 pounds is being donated in multiple places where it can be used.  This is all yarn that wasn't suited to my particular charity.  It took multiple days to roll the yarn in balls after doing lots of detangling.  My daughter will distribute this once back from the holidays in St. Louis.

An interesting historical fiction about a woman, a Black Woman passing as White and being a part of Old Hollywood with all it's glamour.  Very insightful.  I enjoyed the story.

Another historical fiction post World War II.  A story about a rather dysfunctional family, their lives from being rather poor to becoming rich.  Lots of entanglements between family members.  Extremely enjoyable with Tom Hanks being the moderator.  

Classified as historical fiction.  This book takes place in Georgia in 1958 during the horrible Jim Crow period.  10 children, different fathers, and a horrible mean spirited and aggressive controlling mother.  A story about survival.


Another historical fiction.  A lot going on in this book, betrayal, love, isolation, and adapting as one comes of age.  The Marsh Girl is a naturalist...self taught.  You root for her throughout the whole book.

47 comments:

  1. Hubby and I stayed home, and all was in bed by 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, staying home is good, IMHO

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to both of you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!
    That's quite the pile of yarn. I'm sure the recipients will be grateful. And I don't feel so bad about my stash...it wouldn't come close to this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to hearing where all my darling daughter donates the stash too, and stayed tuned...it's not all of it by any means. Happy New Year to you as well.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Sandy!
    Glad to read that the blanket is finally complete. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea and back to you as well.

      Delete
  5. Pretty afghan. We don't party on New Year's Eve either. We did stand outside for a few minutes and watch the fireworks in the neighborhood from our doorway. I hear you about the yarn. Every now and then I go through and pass along what I know I won't use. I hope 2024 is good to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're not surprised by my stash, lol. I love fireworks so pretty neat you could watch from your yard.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year! That's a lot of yarn! I've seen Where the Crawdads Sing on another blog. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Sherry, and Happy New Year back to you. Let me know if you read the book, what you thought of it.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Sandy!! So much yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should show your wife the picture of the 41.5 pounds of yarn; she'd probably get a kick out of it. Happy New Year to you as well.

      Delete
  9. Lovely sherbet blanket! May your great niece, the recipient, highly enjoy it!
    Kudos for your exercising efforts, Sandy! Wishing you a wonderful 2024 year, with good health and prosperity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Duta. Am getting a slower start with exercise in January than I hoped. Working on it though.

      Delete
  10. A belated Happy New Year to you! Your blanket looks lovely and reminds me of coconut ice, although that is just pink and white. I am sure it will be much loved. I must have a sort out of my stuff too. Lots of people will benefit from your de-stashing of wool.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie, things just seem to pile up to easily. Am anxious to hear where my daughter is able to donate the yarn.

      Delete
  11. All the best to 2024 and recording those steps and more. Looks like you can do it! & putting all that yarn in balls should be considered a workout too! It's good to hear from you! Wishing you a great new year of travel and adventure and spending some time at home with great reads and knitting projects. I got on a crochet scarf kick last year that did not last too long. I have a stash of yarn too, but not quite this large. Happy January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to see some of your crocheted scarves. Hope you'll post some pictures. Thanks so much for the kind words.

      Delete
  12. All the best to you and yours for a happy and healthy 2024, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bill, and to you.

      Delete
  13. Happy New Year, I sorted out some of my craft supplies. I always get into a clean the house mode in January.
    Did you also watch the movie, Where the Crawdad's Sing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not yet watched the movie Where the Crawdads sing, but it's on my list. Good for you for your January habit of sorting and cleaning.

      Delete
  14. Lots of books to add to the to-be-looked-for list. I have enough to last me a long while!! Belated new year wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the list of books, read one and add 2, lol. Thanks and back to you on the New Year wishes.

      Delete
  15. Bonne année 2024 ! Nice blanket, so useful with a baby. Delia Owens book is on my list too (I try to reed books in English to keep close to the language) just waiting to find it on second hand book shop, we miss the movie so the story remains not spoiled to me. Amicalement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I too haven't yet seen the movie; but it's on my list now that I've read the book.

      Delete
  16. I read Where the Crawdads Sing. At first I couldn't get into it. Put it down started again and could hardly stop reading. Delia Owens is an NC author.
    I have heard of Kitty Karr.
    That is a lot of yarn...at least in the bad weather you have plenty to keep you busy
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the book, wonder why you didn't the first time. I hadn't heard of Kitty Karr, but found her story fascinating.

      Delete
  17. ...wishing you a Healthy and Happy New Year. Holiday Valley sure is a popular destination for Ohio skiers. Restaurants in Ellicottville are having a trouble time finding enough help. If you will work two shifts per week, they give you a ski pass to Holiday Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about Holiday Valley and Restaurants, it's been years since we've gone there. Ski days are over.

      Delete
  18. Above all, we wish you and your loved ones a really good 2024.
    Your photo is wonderful. I'm very happy to see you both :-))
    You knitted a beautiful baby blanket. Your yarn stash looks great, so tidy I can think of lots of things I could knit with it...
    I wish you much success and joy in your sporting endeavors - always slow but steady is our motto - true :-)))
    Have fun with books too...
    Hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for all the kind words, all are appreciated. Hope 2024 brings you great happiness and joy.

      Delete
  19. Happy New Year, Dear Sandy. Looks as though you're delving into more fun and meaningful adventures - even if from your cozy home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, always something a foote. Happy NY to you as well.

      Delete
  20. Happy New Year to you and your family.
    We just stayed home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best wishes for the New Year and beyond.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Victor and to you.

      Delete
  22. That's a lot of yarn. I could do with sorting through my stash. I loved Where the Crawdad's Sing, I think they did a good job with the film adaptation too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not yet seen the film but plan to. It's on my list. I still have plenty of yarn to sort, detangle, and roll. It's a good start though.

      Delete
  23. Sandy - thanks for your visits to my blog! I admire your yarn sorting project! I have lots of DMC floss for cross-stitching, and I also have spools that can be easily stored in number order, making them easier to find. Of course, who has the time to sit down and wrap them onto the spools. I keep saying it is a "rainy day" project, but that rainy day never seems to come! I love the "Where the Crawdads Sing" movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on the rainy day project, time is so fleeting. I still need to watch the movie.

      Delete
  24. Kudos to you on all the exercise goals. WOW! So dedicated. And also Kudos to donating all that yarn. I can't imagine what wonders you still have in your stash. Yeah for the New Year, gray hair like many of us! Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year to you, too! I am also trying to corral my various stashes; I don't know what I was thinking to start so many different projects. At the moment I am trying to decrease my fabric stash and also working on knitting projects that have been started. Oh, and I have gray hair now, too, since I stopped coloring it during COVID. Thanks for posting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.