I love having Followers, Thank You

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Mother's Day, Quick One Pan Meals, and The Crimson Field-WWI Field Hospital

The Crimson Field, the next series in my exploration of watching British TV.  LOVED this show.  It was an interesting glimpse into life in France (and England-Ireland) during World War I.  There was sadly only one season, as it was cancelled after that.  
It explored the importance of ladies who volunteered for service, and showed how difficult their lives were.  These 3 all had a story to tell and all joined the service for different reason.  They came from very different backgrounds.  At a time when it was scandalous for women to be in close company with me, nurses and volunteers had to learn how to bath wounded men...the difficulty of bridging their learned privacy rules from civilian life and that in service was huge.
Both men and women were drummed out, or executed for what was deemed to be unpatriotic service or cowardice.  Even though there is only one season, I do highly recommend it.  I was able to watch this series on Amazon Prime for no extra fee or membership.
This past weekend was Mother's Day.  My Darling Daughter sent lovely flowers on Friday so I was able to enjoy them for the whole of the wkend.  There were 3 bundles of flowers in the box, enough for me to make two large beautiful bouquets.  Thank you Darling Daughter.  This is a close up of one of the prettiest roses...look at the gradation of color on the outside of this rose as it begins to open.
I'm a huge fan of one pan, or one dish meals.  Makes prep and clean up so much easier.  That's even more important to me currently since I'm not super mobile with my broken foot.  In the beginning, I would do some prep, sit down...do a bit more, sit down again.  Was hard trying to move about the kitchen using a walker or crutches.  I would get things at the ready as much as possible (often it took a good while), so when hubby came home from work; he could actually do the cooking.  Generally, he put something in oven and with my chair-side direction........dinner would come together.  I am more mobile now with my ortho boot, but still trying to minimize how much I'm standing there in the kitchen.  It's just not that easy.  

Asparagus, potatoes, and chicken.  This required a minimum of work to prep.  The chicken breast's were cut in in medalions (smaller pieces cook quicker), plus the chicken breast were very large and thick.  They were dipped in an egg wash, and layered in the pan with thin lemon slices and topped with fresh basil.

Potatoes quartered, asparagus cut in half.  I put all in fridge, and when hubby called that he was on his way I sprinkled olive oil, dash, and Parmesan cheese on potatoes and asparagus and turned on the oven.  Cooked in pre-heated oven at 400-425 for about 20 minutes.  It cooked while hubby and I had our Martini's
Tasty, not time consuming with either prep or clean up.  The egg wash and lemon gave the chicken a nice flavor and helped keep it moist.  Was an experiment....one both hubby and I thought worth repeating.

12 comments:

  1. Hooray for one pot dishes. I am a big fan. And like leftovers too. It is nice to have dinner for another night and the flavours often improve too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit. I don't generally cook enough for left overs, sorta my way of portion control except with chili which is always better reheated.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of The Crimson Field, that's one which passed me by without me realising. I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day and felt thoroughly spoilt by your daughter. How lovely that she sent the flowers early so that you got to enjoy them for the whole of the weekend. I'm a big fan of one pot recipes and that one looks especially tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add Crimson Field to your list, believe you'll enjoy it Jo. I did really and am still enjoying the flowers from darling daughter. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  3. Chicken is always a win here. I think that is one I've seen bits and parts of when my grandmother was watching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good show, check it out Pat. Chicken isn't one of my favorites, but you can do a lot of different things with it. Always enjoy your visits.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a lovely meal. I am a huge fan of one dish or one pot meals. The simpler to prepare, the better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do lots of one pan meals, I like a minimum of fuss. Thanks Martha.

      Delete
  5. That was very kind of your daughter, and I'm certain you deserved those beautiful flowers.
    Be well, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn for the well wishes, much appreciated. Whats not to enjoy with flowers.

      Delete
  6. I am definitely going to check out The Crimson Field. Sounds very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know.

      Delete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.