I love having Followers, Thank You

Monday, April 23, 2012

Colors Speak to Me

This is the first time I've participated in the special week long blog event dedicated to knitters and crocheters. Though it's the 3rd year the activity has been going strong here on internet. There are prompts, one for each day, a tag which you'll see below. The tag gives us a special method to find each other doing a google search. Pretty cool. Since this is a first for me, thought I'd give the prompt below:

Color Lovers

Color is one of our greatest expressions of ourselves when we choose to knit or crochet, so how do you choose what colors you buy and crochet or knit with. Have a look through your stash and see if there is a predominance of one color. Do the same with your finished projects - do they match? Do you love a rainbow of bright hues, or more subdued tones. How much attention do you pay to the original color that a garment is knit in when you see a pattern? Tell readers about your love or confusion over color.

3KCBWDAY1 (tag)

Colors speak to me, loudly I might add. I don't own a white blouse or a beige dress. Doesn't that statement speak volumes about how I like color! I have always been drawn to bright, bold, cheery colors and find white, and beige without personality at all, and very very boring. As a child my Mother told me I dreamed about colors, apparently out loud. I would talk in my sleep saying I wanted the red one, or the yellow one and things along that line.

The first item I crocheted was a bright mint green Dollie. It was crocheted using a bright red plastic crochet hook. My childhood best friend's Aunt taught me to crochet, no doubt because I was driving her nuts. She was as round as she was tall. In retrospect, I don't think she had good mobility, as I almost always saw her in a rocking chair. I was mesmerized watching her crochet. I'm sure that first project was lov-er-ly. That lov-er-ly Dollie that had no purpose was a gift to my Mother. Wonder whatever happened to it?

The first item I knit was with multi-colored crayon/Mexican looking yarn and became a little scarf. My Mother taught me to knit. See, even back then I was drawn to bold, bright and cheery colors.

And let's not forget the bright Pink (not pastel) Octopus I made with a Styrofoam ball and braided legs to decorate my bed.

I knit and crochet and carry my love of color to almost every thing I craft, even baby items are rarely made from light pastels, or worse yet personality lacking white and beige. If you look through these blog of items made, both for myself and those for charity you'll see a rainbow of colors.

When purchasing yarn, generally I see a color I like then decide what I might want to make. My stash is full of bright, colorful goodies waiting to be something bold and pretty.

skein of yarnThis skein of yarn reminds me of that first scarf, though I believe my yarn back then was a bit brighter in color. That memory made me smile as I opened the box this donated yarn was in. It was donated through my charity blog, Bridge and Beyond that focuses on helping homeless.

Color......even when dictated by others (ie the squares which are donated)are turned into bright, cherry........bold. These are some of the afghans I've assembled from the donated squares through my above charity blog, Bridge and Beyond. Did someone say Color?

Royalty GhanRose GardenRed BrickThis and ThatMother Earth


Pink BlocksPink PetunaRainbow BrightKaledioscopeLittle Princess


Got BrownBontiful HarvestJewelsAutumnGemstone

Colorful BlocksBlue BurgundyBright BlocksBaby Boy Blanket


**most afghans pictured above can be clicked on, should you want more details it will take you to the blog post**

8 comments:

  1. You love color and you know how to use it! That second is the important thing in the work you do. So many beautiful afghans that are bringing a smile to many faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've a colorful place my friend..color makes you feel cheerful no? I've put the pics back up that went MIA when I was playing with Picasa yesterday..stop back to get a birds eye view of a beautiful little nature center. Thank you for stopping over...:)

    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you are definitely a colour lover! Great post and how fun to be taken through your colour journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sandie, Faith, and Kim for the visits and the nice comments, appreciate them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your use of colour very much indeed. I don't wear white shirts either :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, when I see ALL your blankets posted together I can't help but think how amazing and talented you are! Such an impressive sight!! I wish I could see all those smiling faces with their blankets. You truly touch so many people with your kindness :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks hakucho for your sweet comments. I do enjoy putting these ghans together from so many different hands, sometimes it's a bit of a job though.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.