Family Heirlooms, Knitting and Crocheting and Selling a Family Home
This antique filet crochet doily is a family piece. I don't know who made it, or how old it is; as I've never seen it before. When the brothers and I were cleaning out and organizing my Dad's house to prepare it for sale, we found this in a badly broken old frame. If you click to enlarge the picture, you can see the stains.........both of age, and on the two edges that were touching the frame. Believe it absorbed the stain from the frame. I examined it carefully and could see no signs of instability and so decided I would chance washing it. I washed in cold water, in light detergent in a laundry bag for fine linens to protect it. It's now dried and looks more clean, but the stain is still present...just better. I plan to find an appropriate sized shadow box frame for it. The old frame isn't repairable and wasn't the right size to begin with, which is how the edges were all matted against the frame and some of the filet wasn't actually visible in the old frame. What a find! Just wish I had seen this before, when I could have asked my mother, or grandmother, or one of my great aunts who made it, where it came from, who's house it had belonged to. Such a shame to have family pieces without knowing the story.
Finished my shawl! Just need to weave in the ends. Really wanted another section of the pretty green, but wasn't sure I had enough yarn left to continue the next repeat. Each repeat was 10 rows, and at the end of the 10 rows you bind off 4 to give you the pointed edge. I ended up with 24 points, pattern indicated you might get 25 from the cake of yarn. Love the points edge...very pretty, and the scooped edge that will be the neck edge (you can see it if you click to enlarge picture...it's the top edge where you do the increases with kfb. The right edge is the edge you bind off. Debating whether or not I should try to crochet a little edge there...or whether it would look weird, even if I do have enough yarn to do that..........love your thoughts gang.
And so, I've started another one. This one won't be as colorful...black, gray and white. So far it's hard to see any shading in the colors. If you remember, I had to rip out the pink and green one when I was close to half way through, and lost some yarn in the process. Since, I now know the pattern that shouldn't happen, and presumably I should be able to get the 25 points? Time will tell. This one is for a friend who requested the black, gray and white.
Coffee Latte is continuing to grow. Am working on the dark brown section now that you see at the bottom of the picture. Completed 2 more sections since the last picture and it now measures 38 (before blocking) inches in depth. The previous large dark brown section is the middle point of the afghan.
Some of you know I've been blogging less due to being super busy dealing with my Dad being in an assisted living center...and working on his house to prepare for sale. This is his house, fingers and toes crossed...we have a contract. Just waiting on the inspection now. Will be a huge relief to get this taken care of.