I love having Followers, Thank You

Sunday, July 16, 2023

Sherbet Colored Baby Blanket, and Politics Galore

 

Leia's blanket is coming along, a bit slower than I might like; but I tend not to knit as much in warm weather.  The colors remind of sherbet.  The bright pink section I'm working on will be the main section, then I'll repeat the mint green, bright pink, light pink for the edge.  It currently measurers 13.5 inches by approimately 40 inches wide.  I can't quite lay it out without the risk of losing stitches off the ends of the needles.

These books aren't listed in any kind of order, I just collected up the pictures of the political books I've read since posting any previously.

14 Hours of Audio.  Watergate, Deepthroat, Nixon's downfall.  A best seller, and a Pulitzer Prize winner.  I did not read this book at the time.  Actually my wedding day and the Watergate break in occurred on the same day.  I was too self absorbed to pay much attention to this at the time.  But, thought it was important to read/listen to now as a point of comparison.  Nixon was a crook, and a liar; but sorta looks like a choir boy compared to trump. 
12 Hours in the audio book.  This book details the hot mess that exsisted during trump's administration.  The temper tantrums, the last minutes changes in decision.  And how erratic the decision making process was handled in The Oval Office, In The Residence, On AirForce One, and even The Situation Room.  His staff would go into a meeting thinking he had made a decision and then he would change his mind, often as a means to embarrass a member of his staff.
I found this book absolutely fascinating!!!  What an accomplished woman.  She was involved in so many levels of politics her entire life, not just her adult life.  I listened (14 hours audio) to this as her retirement was announced.  It just seemed like the thing to do.
7 hours of audio.  Rumsfeld, Chaney, and Bush lied over and over again to the American people, and to congress about the state of affairs with regard to Iraq.  They refused to pay head to detailed reports about how failed the invasion of Iraq was.  How many lives were lost unnecessarily?  How much money was spent?  The infighting between those that hungered for power is also exposed in this book.
6 hours of audio.  This book focuses on Alexander Butterfield, an aid with far too much power.  He knew about the secret tapes that blue things apart for Nixon.  You can see how obsessed Nixon was with secrets and deceptions.
14 hours of audio.  Beyond a scary time, the end of trump's administration and the beginning President Biden's.  So much at stake, the most dangerous time in US history.  Woodward and Costa interviewed over 200 people to write this book.
11 hours of audio.  Much of this book seems like a repeat of many things you've already read about and or heard in the news; but to hear these tapes with trump's own voice, and all his dis-jointed sentences...run on, and or actually not sentences.  His ramblings, his utter lack of decency in all forms is beyond the pail.  

These important books total 78 hours of audio!!  That's a lot of political jazz, but it seemed to me to be truly important to read/listen to them all.  So much deceit, so many lies, so much corruption.  I really shouldn't include the book about Nancy Pelosi in this group, but since I was grouping the political books together; I did.

I've been doing yard work, going for walks, and trying to keep up with my planks.  I've not done well with trying to do any yoga, and I'm not knitting as much these days.  The hours just seem to slip by.

26 comments:

  1. The blanket is coming along so nicely. What pretty colors!
    I can't imagine listening or reading that many political stories, though given a choice, I'd go with the Nancy Pelosi book. As little as I know about her, she seemed a very interesting woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like the colors in the blanket as well. I just thought given all that's been going on with the trump, reading/listening to theses books was a good idea. I loved the Nancy Pelosi one, she is truly a remarkable woman.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything by Bob Woodward.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should try a couple of his books, he's accomplished so much with his research and reporting over the years.

      Delete
  3. I am sort of dreading the presidential election next year. Can you believe that RFK Jr is running and running on a mostly garbage platform? He has the name, he has the face, but will it propel him very far? I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he's nuts and then some. Even his family wants no connection with him and lunatic ideas.

      Delete
  4. Goodness, that's a lot of politics. It's quite scary how these people get into office, isn't it. I think the power goes to their heads. Your blanket is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree about the power going to their heads, and yes the political situation every since trump ran the first time has been very scary. Thanks on the blanket.

      Delete
  5. Trump is a very scary man. I haven't read Woodward's books, but I've heard a lot about them. Very well researched. I can't get my head around the deniers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get my head around the deniers either. And it just keeps getting worse. That man should have been locked up long ago.

      Delete
  6. Sandy Just saw your comment about the walk way on yesterday's post. I don't know these neighbors they are 2 blocks from us. I did watch the process. Black plastic was spread out before the much was put down. There should not be any weeds. It is a small front yard. Not sure about the landscaping in the back. I love the baby blanket.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow up about the walk way, much appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Your baby blanket is so sweet. Whoever is going to receive it will love it. I stay away from political books. It's too depressing. I am a staunch conservative but definitely agree with you that Trump is not the person I would like to see in the White House. Frankly, as I have been watching this aging congress so obviously physically failing I would like to see them all graciously retire with their dignity intact and let the next generation come in and have a crack at it. That's my two cents for the day. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet words about the baby blanket. I agree with you about the aging congress. I think we need term limits in the courts as well. All other jobs in our country have limits, not sure why the political arena doesn't.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the references to such political information. Now that I have time to myself, it is something I will have to read/listen to. Nice to see you having fun with some handwork. It is so relaxing and such a treasure to make something for loved ones. Thanks for checking on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's hard to keep up with the news, and somehow reading/listening to these books helps shed light on things for me.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the book suggestions! That's a pretty baby blanket; I'll bet it will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I've not picked up the blanket in a couple of weeks, as I've not been home to do so. Need to get back to it.

      Delete
  10. I detest politics, so you could not pay me to read any of those books! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Politics is in everyday life, so I find it important to read about.

      Delete
  11. I'm beginning to think all republicans are lying assholes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not beginning to think that, have thought it for quite a long time.

      Delete
  12. The blanket colours remind me a bit of coconut ice with a hint of peppermint! I am not a fan of politicians - they all seem to have one aim - "what's in it for me?"
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you can get away from politics it's in everything we do all day long 24 x 7. I'm not familiar with coconut ice, perhaps it's like Italian Ice?

      Delete
  13. I was working in an amusement park the summer of 1974 when a newspaper boy walked by selling papers (they did that back then). A customer told me to buy a paper, it would be a collector item. It was "Nixon Resigned" . As a new high school graduate, isolated in a fantasy land, I was shocked to find out what was going on. But i should not have been. My high school history teacher had recommended I read a book called, I believe, "The Selling of a President" with Nixon's picture on a pack of cigarettes on the cover. Very telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We graduated about the same time frame, it was 1969 for me, and Watergate happened the day before I got married, so lots of things were going on then for sure. I still communicate with my high school history teacher.

      Delete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.