I love having Followers, Thank You

Saturday, February 20, 2021

Knitting, Crocheting, and Listening to Audio Books, During Covid

 

This is the book I'm currently listening to.  I'm really enjoying it.  History hasn't taught us much about how many women made important and long lasting changes to our country.  Some of the women discussed in this book I know of, but even those I've heard of I learned new things about them.  This book seems particularly important to read or listen to right now, given the state of things in the country.  With the push of the far right and trying to remove safe guards and progress women have made.  Please put this on your list to purchase or check out of your local library.












When you read do you stick with a subject, or author or do you read randomly?  I've never been a big reader; but am loving audio books.  I find them enjoyable because you can do multiple things at one time.  I got into audible books first to have something to listen to when I take my daily walks.  Was getting great step counts and listening a lot........then came the winter......argh.  Not a fan of winter.  I do sometimes force myself to outside if there's not snow or ice on the ground for fear of falling.  I use the library app Libby.  Originally I used Over Drive but found Libby is more user friendly, so switched.

So I listened to, as you can see, a bunch of political stuff.  Given all that we've been through these past 4 years it seemed wise to read/listen to get more of the nuts of bolts of all that went on.  WOW!  Not sure though I would say President Obama's first book, Dreams of my Father is a political book.  It's was very much about his life, from childhood on.  I found it fascinating how he lived in different worlds.

The Room Where it Happened got a bit long in the tooth.  I listen to about half, then switched to another book and then came back to it.  I don't agree with  Bolton on much of anything, but it points to how truly dysfunctional trump was/is.  And how much all those around him thought so.  Puzzling why so many tried to defend him.



I do tend to stick with a topic for awhile in my reading/listening.  These are I think important to help us understand better what our Black American Citizens deal with, both in the present and in the past.  I mentioned above how I like listening as I can do multiple things at one time.  In addition to listening while I walk, I listen while I knit, while I do things around the house and often while I'm doing dinner prep in the kitchen.



These 3 books about Scientology are a real eye opener.  It is such a horrible cult it's frightening because it has such a huge membership.  The original founder, L. Ron Hubbard was a huge huge narcissist and reading about him reminded me so much of trump.  It's disappointing to me how this huge wealthy business gets treated like a church in terms of taxes.



Again focusing on a subject/topic.  I found these books by the same author riveting.

Since I often was listening and knitting or crocheting, these are 2 afghans I worked on.

These bright colored strips were donated to my charity, Bridge and Beyond and I crocheted borders for each strip, and then crocheted them together.


And this brown knitted afghan has been in the works for a long time but, listening and knitting I've been able to make good headway.  I'm also working on a purple scarf, but haven't taken a picture of it yet.  Need to do that.

I'm happy and excited to report hubby and I got our first Covid Inoculation and are scheduled for our 2nd.  I hope you all are staying safe from Covid and getting your vaccinations.

It's been ages and ages since I've blogged on a regular basis, and I've really missed it and visiting and reading and commenting on each of your blogs.  So, I'm recharging now and plan to get back to it.  Please let me know how you all are doing.

18 comments:

  1. I don't think I could read/listen to so many political books without a break - with something lighter - like murder mysteries.
    I really loved the Tattooist of Auschwitz, but have not yet read the other.
    Love your creativity.
    Our vaccinations start tomorrow. I think I will get my first towards the end of next month at the earliest.
    Stay safe, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit. Glad to hear you're soon to get your vaccine. I did take some breaks with all those political books.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Quite a number of books. I read about half of them and agree - reading about political topic in light of the last 4 years was VERY interesting. I love audio books and I am sure I would never have discovered them except that my husband permanently lost his sight late in life and was force from being a huge reader to being a huge listener. And it is really so much better to listen as you point out because you can do other stuff at the same time. It really does make doing boring activities - like cleaning house - do-able!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your hubby, but glad you both found the alternative. The listening is also nice to hear them sometimes in the authors own voice, like Obama's for instants. Thanks for swinging by.

      Delete
  3. I love to crochet...your colorful Afghan is gorgeous. I am still "old school" and like a hand held book. I think if I tried listening to a book read TO me, my mind would begin to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Anni. I was a bit skeptical about that when I loaded my first book; but I find it very enjoyable and like doing multiple things. Sitting down just to read always made me feel like I should be doing something else. Plus, there's something really nice about hearing some of the books being read by the person who wrote them. You really get their emotions involved.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you were able to get the vaccine, I am far from it here but am hoping in the next few months to get my first dose. I have listened to several books on your list and they have all been fascinating. Enjoy and have a wonderful and safe weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you're still in the waiting game for the vaccine. Got my toes and fingers crossed for you that you'll be able to get one soon. Perhaps now that J & J will be added to the mix soon that will help. Best of luck, and thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  5. I've been checking daily but no vaccines available in my area. As to reading, I love to read though I read mostly fiction - romance and murder mysteries. I just started James Marston's Women Murder Club series. I like audio books in that I can still crochet while listening but my hearing is poor so it's not optimal for me. Light stories where details don't matter as much are better for audio. Love the job you did on the strips and the brown ghan is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Sandie. You emoji is perfect! Do earphones help you while listening to books? Maybe even those noise cancelling headphones would work?

      Delete
    2. Sandy, I use headphones whenever I'm listening to audio, on the computer, the iPad, the phone or the TV. My husband works from home so I use the headphones or earbuds so as not to disturb him and also to focus my hearing. I also use captioning / subtitles when available.

      Delete
    3. Glad to hear you do that, I wondered. I'm sure it helps with the focusing of the sound.

      Delete
  6. I love reading, I'm never without a book on the go. There are certain authors I enjoy and I do go on to read all their books but I enjoy finding new authors to read too. Being in lockdown last year, I ran out of books to read so went in search of things on Kindle and I came across some books I wouldn't have ordinarily picked up to read but which I thoroughly enjoyed. I've read The Tattooist of Auschwitz and Cilka's Journey, do read The Librarian of Auschwitz if you come across it, another great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Jo, am making a note for The Librarian of Auschwitz. Like you, I really enjoyed those other two. Thanks for recommendation, much appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Audiobooks are wonderful, particularly during long commutes or while busy around the house. Have a blessed and wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you Liberty Bell, I'm really enjoying being able to do multiple things at the same time with listening to books vs sitting down and reading. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  8. Great selection of books, Sandy! I've only read Mary Trump's book, so far, but am keen on reading a few more from the list you've posted.

    I'm happy to read that you are on your way to being fully inoculated.

    Be safe and well,
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Bea, appreciated. Hope you enjoy some of the other books too. Thanks for sharing my inoculation happiness.

      Delete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.