I love having Followers, Thank You

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

A Finish, Fall Color, and Child Trafficker, Georgia Tann

 

Done, but not very happy with it.  Snail Hollow Shawl.  This was a kit with yarn and pattern sold by Crafty's.  It's listed on Ravelery as well.  I do not recommend this kit, or the pattern.  The pattern is not well written.  I've not used any other patterns by Erika Flory; but 3 different people I've spoken to have interpeted the pattern 3 different ways and none ended up being happy with the end result.  I am in their camp as well.  It's much much smaller than it should be and can barely be a scarf and certainly not a shawl.  The yarn, Cloudborn is also not one I would recommend.  The yarn separately badly while knitting which caused some issues.

I like the color combination, rich colors but very hard on the eyes.  If I were to ever do this pattern again, I would choose more contrasting colors, a different yarn...a heavier yarn.  It will look better after it get's it's soak and get's blocked, and hopefully it will be a tad larger afterwards as well..

I've continued to work on the fall colored asymetrical scarf; but while I've worked on it a good number of additional hours, it doesn't look much different, so I've not taken anothe picture.



Sharing a particularly pretty tree from a walk through the park a few days ago.  Yes, fall has arrived.  And yes, I'm able to get some walking in so my monthly numbers should be better; but perhaps not by a lot.  I am over Covid and trying to get back into doing planks etc.  So, we'll see how things shape up.


Since it's fall, I added fall table settings to the dining room table.  That's the extint of my Fall/Halloween decorating; though I have shared some of the outside decorations I've been seeing around the neighborhood.  A good fall meal, chicken enchildas and black beans.  Had to take a picture because this one presented better than they sometimes do.  Sometimes getting them neatly out of the casserole dish is tricky and they don't look as pretty.  I was happy with how these came out nicely.

Decided I needed a wee break from all my WWII books, so started this one in print on the plane coming back from my ill fated France tour, and then finished it with the audio version.  I'm glad I switched to the audio, as the voices added to the story.  "Before We Were Yours", by Lisa Wingate is a novel, but based on lots of facts about The Tennessee Children's Home Society Orphanage scandal whose director was Georegia Tann.  This starts in 1939 in Memphis where children were kidnapped, stolen, separated from their siblings, and sold.  This horrific situation lasted for years.  About 25 years.  

Georgia Tann made lots of monthly stealing and selling these children.  Though initially she was credited with the idea of adoption, what she did was illegal start to finish with very few exceptions.  It's estmated that about 500 children died in her "care", or lack there of.  She was successful with the help of the police force.  Truly a horrific scandal involving about 5,000 babies/children.

More than a million copies of this book were sold.  Lisa Wingate has organized a reunion where many adoptives have become acquainted and shared their stories.  Some have been reunited with their siblings and other family members; but even with good research many have not been and won't be; as she changed their names when she falsified the adoption records.  

Sadly, this woman, Georgia Tann never paid for her crimes, as she died a few days before the daming report came to light.

The paper back is 356 pages, the audio book is 14 hours.  I finished it in just a few days.  I couldn't put the book down, and highly recommend it.  It's important to know about things in our history so the horrific events don't get repeated.

I'll be adding "Before and After", another book of Lisa Wingate about the lives of those adoptive children to my reading list.

44 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I did not know about this history of Ms. Tann. Thank you for sharing. I will be checking out the book.
    Thank you, Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That this went on for so long and that the cops helped her really is disgusting.

      Delete
  2. What a shame your shawl wasn't what you'd hoped for from the pattern it seems others have found this too. Sorry too to hear that you have had Covid. I hope you are feeling well again. I like your colourful table setting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, much appreciated. Feeling back to normal now, but it took longer than I anticipated.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear your scarf didn't turn out the way you envisioned. The trees are nice and colourful The book sounds interesting. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the scar was a big disappointment. Thanks Bill.

      Delete
  4. How horrible this story about Georgia Tann's traffic in children is! Lisa Wingate's book about the scandalous behaviour of this orphanage director, is a very important read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Duta that it's an important read.

      Delete
  5. That book sounds right up my alley. I am going to have to look for it. So sorry that the shawl did not work out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie, really disappoiinted by the shawl. Hoping it's a bit better after I soak and blocked it. Let me know what you think if you read the book.

      Delete
  6. I did read Before We Were Yours several years ago and was horrified with the story. Sad she wasn't able to be held accountable for her actions though!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, she should have spent time in jail; but escaped that fate.

      Delete
  7. Interesting history. I enjoy reading such posts. Enjoy your day Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting and shameful, the history. That things like this happened here in the US not all that long ago is horrifying.

      Delete
  8. I have plenty of black beans, and maybe I should look up a combo with chicken.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black beans are pretty versatile in cooking I think. Enjoy.

      Delete
  9. I love chicken with black beans in several different ways - white chicken chili, burrito bowls and like you had it.
    I read that book last year and really enjoyed it. Sad though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the book also, thanks for additional ideas with black beans.

      Delete
  10. Sandy I commend your completion of the scarf. I am afraid I would not have been as diligent as you. Knitting and crocheting are time consuming only to have the finished project a disappointment. I love the rich colors but I can see how hard the would be on they eyes. I once crocheted a scarf with with variegated yard in dark colors. I loved it but will never use dark colors again.
    I read 'Before we were yours', about 6 months ago. I agree with your review 100%
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the scarf will improve and at least be wearable after I soak and block it; but am not holding my breath. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  11. ...our house is undergoing a massive remodeling project, decorating is on hold. Enjoy your fall weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you're not decorating if you're in the throws of a remodeling project. Good luck with that.

      Delete
  12. I like the table settings. And those trees look wonderful in their Autumnal colours. We are getting into Autumn over here - cold and rain and even a thunderstorm or two.

    God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victor, I like simplicity of the table setting. I'm not much into abundance of decorating.

      Delete
  13. Good to know you're feeling better. Too bad about the disappointing shawl/scarf. All that work and now it's not what you expected.
    The chicken enchilada with black beans looks tasty. My DH would enjoy that and I could just make it without the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Granny, much appreciated. Yes, you could easily make the enchildas without chicken.

      Delete
  14. It's such a pity that your scarf didn't turn out the way you're happy... after all, there's always a lot of work involved in making it by hand. I wish you good luck and success for your next project :-)) I'm busy at the sewing machine now... and outside in the beautiful autumn forest :-))
    Your chicken and beans looks great, I'd like it - yes, I like beans anyway and so does chicken.
    Many greetings to you. I wish you a nice week. Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit Viola, will add you to my blog list. Appreciate the good luck on my next project. Enjoy the weather.

      Delete
  15. Chicken enchilada and black beans sounds terrific to me. I don't think I have ever had black beans other than as part of another dish - chili, for example. I have two cans of them in the cupboard and one is going to get opened today for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black beans are good cooked with some lime juice and jalapeno peppers.

      Delete
  16. I have had my eye on that book for quite a while now. Lisa Wingate is an excellent author. I will have to get myself on the wait list at the library. Another interesting book, if you have not read it, is Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. There were thousands of children moved from the inner cities to rural America to foster families between the mid 1800s to the early 20th century, another little know historical event in our history. I am sorry your knitting project was such a disappointment. Hopefully, you will be happier with it when you get it blocked. Blessings to you this day Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to get the book soon. Let me know what you think of it. I've read Orphan Train, but don't think I've blogged about it yet. Agree it's also very good.

      Delete
  17. Sorry the project didn't turn out as you wanted but I still think it looks nice. Love the fall colors and all of your decorations. I had no idea Georgia Tann and it's terrible she didn't have to pay for her crimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, it is terrible she didn't have to pay for her crimes. I think a lot of the families involved might have felt like they got some closure if she had been put behind bars where she belonged.

      Delete
  18. That's a shame your shawl didn't turn out as you had hoped. Hopefully you can use it! I don't knit, but I cook a lot and good instructions are helpful when putting together a recipe!

    I have looked at that book but didn't read it. What a tragic story. I'll never understand people who take advantage of children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right on the mark about good instruction be it knitting, cooking, or almost anything really. Good instructions make a big difference. Totally agree about people who take advantage of children.

      Delete
  19. sigh at neither the pattern nor the yarn living up to expectations.
    Love your autumnal splendour.
    Coincidentally I very recently learned about Georgia Tann in another area, Hiss and spit. Loudly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your understanding. Love to learn what and how you learned about Georgia Tann, and totally agree with our hiss and spit....very loudly.

      Delete
  20. What a scandalous orphanage house of crime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly scandalous crime. The fact that no one, not one single person was held accountable disgusts me more than I can say.

      Delete
  21. I’m not certain I’ve ever heard about that scandal. How horrific.

    Once again, your post finally showed up in my reader, weeks late. I’ll try to stop by more often to see if you’ve posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always visit all the blogs on my blog list when I've posted a new blog, that way I don't miss anyone and don't have to rely on those readers which apparently aren't very realiable.

      Delete
  22. Sandy - thanks for your recent visit to my blog - I took a blogging break while I was in the UK and now I am in catch-up mode! I hope your UK trip next year is better than your France experience ... I love my time there, especially the opportunities to walk in the countryside.

    Your enchilada looks delicious, and I admire how it matches your table decor!!!

    I never heard of Georgia Tann - what a horrific thing to happen to the children and their families!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sandy! I finally got back to blogging recently. You are so right that's a great book, and Before and After is really interesting, too. Sorry about the pattern! That's a lot of work to not be happy with!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.