I love having Followers, Thank You

Friday, February 23, 2024

Another Finish, Ta Dah, and Starts, Jimmy Carter AND.....

 

School Days/Daze is being blocked here at it's drying.  The rectangles with the mixed colors were a bit of a challenge size wise.  Had to edge them differently.  ANd as you can see some are turned horizontally and others vertically. in order to fit right.  In part, because they were very stretchy.  Not sure what stitch was used when they were made, but in some cases I needed to mix stitches when edging to not leave holes, as the side stitches were fairly loose; but am pleased with the end result.  It measures 51 x 61, and was made with 30 squares.


Here's the before picture, though it's not oriented the same way as the finished picture above.  I had to stand on the side to get the best shot for the completed picture.  This is the 3rd afghan I've made while we're here on the island from pieces parts.

And this is the next one I'm working on.  I've begun edging some of the squares, but this picture is before I started edging.  These are all crocheted squares and rectangles.  This one is called Purple Haze..

I finally got around to grabbing my calendar and adding things up for January and added stats to my exercise tab across the top of the blog.  In Jan I did 35 second planks with 10 seconds rest x 4 repeats and did that 4 days, then upped the time again to 40 seconds and did that 4 times, then upped again to 45 seconds and did that 9 days, so in total did 17 planks during January which is an increase I'm happy to say.  

My mileage is up by 6 miles over December, at 115.48 miles.  I did 10 purposeful walks which is also up a bit from December.  I started doing leg lifts to a count of 40 (occasionally 50) and did that 9 times in January..

February is coming along, and since I got my Goodwill bike (see previous blog post), I'm adding some bike rides to my exercise.

A very good read, thought provoking about being Black through the history of one primary family in the south, Jim Crow laws and more.  Add this to your list.

If you've been a frequent visitor to my blog, you know how many WWII historical books I've read/listened to.  So, I consider myself fairly well versed on The War, and how vastly different horrors there were; but I did not know about the plot to kill Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill.  All these years later after documents have been unsealed, much is still being learned.

History might not show Jimmy Carter to be one of our best Presidents, but, it will show him to be a great man.  A truly involved and caring man.  The work he did after his Presidency is incredible, even without his work with Habitat for Humanity.  He worked so hard for peace in the middle east, and had such a profound understanding of the needs and wants of people.  I found this to be an important read given the sad situation we're in today.  Please read this book.

Another round of beautiful roses, this time gorgeous yellow which is my personal favorite over red..  I always consider yellow to be such a happy color.






30 comments:

  1. I love yellow roses. I actually used yellow roses on my Bible bouquet when I got married.

    Good for you on your finish. Love the way the blanket looks.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jackie for your sweet remarks. You should post a picture of your yellow roses with your bible when you got married. I'll bet it's lovely.

      Delete
  2. Kudos to you for your walking and stretching exercises,
    and for your interest in history, dear Sandy!
    I like your beautiful end result of your rectangles' work, and of course, your yellow roses. ( I share your opinion on yellow as a happy, optimistic color!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duta, I keep trying to increase the exercise, some days I do better than other days. It's a process for sure. I'm pleased with the end result of this latest afghan. Some are a bit more of a challenge than others due to the size and shapes not being the same. Totally agree on yellow being an optimistic color.

      Delete
  3. I love the look of the finished afghan. It's very pretty!
    I find putting together blocks so tedious so they tend to sit in the UFO pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I was pleased with the end result as well. Some you simply like better than others.

      Delete
  4. I like the colors in blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, School Daze is very bright and cherry.

      Delete
  5. Your afghans are so lovely and I am sure will be really appreciated by the recipients. The yellow roses are so bright and cheerful.
    Best wsihes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie for the kind words. I keep at it. Will be needing to make a substantial delivery when I get these batches done.

      Delete
  6. Hi,
    Thank you for the book review on President Carter, I always appreciate your book reviews.
    I love yellow roses too.
    :-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the book was important, given the mess of things today. He sheds some valuable insight on the problem.

      Delete
  7. ...Sandy, I love the colors and designs that you used, they are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tom, appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. Your exercise stats are impressive! Now with spring popping, you should really get some good numbers!

    We need more people like Jimmy Carter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy for the encouragement. I so agree, we need more people like Jimmy Carter.

      Delete
  9. I'm with you on the yellow roses, beautiful. You read some very interesting books, it's good to extend our knowledge in areas we know little about, and as you say, new things are coming to light all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. There are so many books out there, but I'm troubled from time to time I feel like the people we need to read/listen to them to open their eyes, simply don't read. They only listen to one "news" source, and that doesn't help in the least.

      Delete
  10. Some interesting books that I will try to look out for.
    Wonderful yellow roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you read any of them.

      Delete
  11. Those roses are really wonderful.

    God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so as well. Love beautiful flowers, they make me smile.

      Delete
  12. It's good to hear from you again. Oh, well..I grew up in the hill country and well, we might have been all a little earthy back then. Thanks for your comments. So great to see your beautiful projects. And such lovely roses. Looks like some inspiring reads too. Wishing you a great March 💚🍀💚🍀💚🍀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words regarding my projects. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  13. Yellow is a happy color and I love those yellow roses but have to admit to red being my favorite. Looking at the School Days afghan I'm wondering if the squares were originally made for Warm Up America's 7 x 9" rectangles. You always do a great job with your assemblies and the finished products looks wonderful. It will be loved as it keeps someone warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know those rectangles might have been made for Warm Up America. I sorta wondered that too. Was a bit of a challenge turning them into squares of the right size to join. Loved the way it turned out.

      Delete
  14. Whoo-hoo! Your core strength must be so, so good. I'm OK with planks, but can't really hold them longer than about 30 secs per.
    I've been doing more squats of late. Usually 3 reps of ten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should perhaps add squats to my routine; but can't remember if they're good or bad for the knees? Might have to look that up. We all need to do what we can, while we can. Use it or lose it my Dad used to say.

      Delete
  15. Looks like you're coming along with those quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am, getting a lot done which is nice; as I'm trying to catch up.

      Delete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.