I love having Followers, Thank You

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Blues for Baby Luke, Granny Squares

WIP blog badge

Baby Lukes ghan
Stage One of this baby ghan is HERE
15 squares thus far done, 12 of which are joined. The bottom row not yet joined in above picture. Note the 3 books these squares are from, plus a few standard squares where I just crocheted the basic granny, and 2 various circle in a square from an on line free pattern. This has been a bit more tedious then I like for a baby blanket, and has taken more time then I like...or thought it would when I began.

I joined my first ever CAL on RAV. Blogged about it here. Then after making a couple of squares decided to switch to The Blues for Baby Luke. Luke's my youngest nephews soon to arrive in this world's baby.

The book on the right 101 Crocheted Squares by Jean Leinhauser is NOT a book I would recommend. The patterns are poorly written and many are much smaller then I like. 4 and 5 inch squares don't appeal to me. Additionally, she has lots of squares that have applique's which I'm not a fan of, particularly not for a baby, or a ghan that get's lots of use and will need to be laundered. Many of her patterns are very similar to those found in other books which is also a bit surprising. This book though is no longer in print, and buying one now on line is quite costly.

The 2 books on the left, 99 Granny Squares to Crochet, and Contest Favorites afghan squares are both Leisure Arts books with a variety of designers. Each square has the name of that particularly designer. Thus far I've found the patterns in both these books to be much better/ easier to understand patterns. I would recommend both these books for anyone wanting granny squares.

I have 10 squares to go, then select border....hoping to get finished before she delivers.

12 comments:

  1. HI SANDY, I LOVE YOUR SQUARES, YOU DO BEAUTIFUL WORK. I HOPE YOU GET DONE IN TIME, BABY LUKE IS A VERY LUCKY BABY...I ALSO LOVE THE BUCKEYE OUTFIT. HAVE A GOOD DAY. RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors, Sandy, it's coming along very nicely. Can't wait to see it done!

    Why don't you pop on over to my WIP post and link to get on that train?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were on the right blog, Sandy, but the wrong post. That post was from a couple of weeks ago. Click on the mail blog heading to get to today's post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops .. the MAIN blog heading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bear square! That's going to be one well-loved blankie. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bear square is the one that caught my eye, too. Like the mixing and matching of different squares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be beautiful! I love blankets with different squares but coordinating colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks very nice!
    my middle daughter is pregnant with her first and has things she wants me to make BEFORE the baby is born...I really need to get going on the things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how different the squares are, yet they completely fit together beautifully. It's gorgeous and I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by, I suppose I should have clarified somewhere that it is a potholder, not a pillow. It is hard to judge from
    the pictures. It is my latest potholder the pattern is granny rose...lovely....how I love the crochet potholders...done in thread. Happy Spring....hope all is well...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beby blanket looks great so far...can't wait to see it finished :)

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.