I love having Followers, Thank You

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Afghan, Books, Movies, and Roses oh My!

 

Here is Firecracker done, being blocked/drying here as we speak.  I was pleased when I found more black yarn so was able to edge each square with black after getting everything sized with the red.  And then edged in black as well.

And here it was in the beginning.

And next up Pink Petals.  Some of the pink here is quite bright as you can see...sorta like the hideous pink car I posted previously.  So, am bringing squares to size in the light pink which I think will tone things down.  I may join in the same pink, or perhaps find a contrasting color...will see as it progresses what I think.
Hubby and I recently attending ball game, such a fun summer thing to do.  It was a beautiful night and our home team won.  Not something we do often,  maybe once or twice a summer.  Don't think we made it at all last summer.

There were places in the book where I definitely disagreed with trumpie's Press Secretary, Stephanie Grisham; but found the book still quite interesting.  It points out, as many of his former cabinet and staff books have, that most of them thought they were doing the right thing........initially, then when they realized otherwise they were in too deep and or had become addicted to power and excitement of being there.  But, she was the first to resign after Jan 6th, when 45 and his gang/cult tried to over throw the government.  She recently spoke at the Democratic Convention throwing her support completely behind The  Kamala Harris Ticket.  It takes a big person to say, I was wrong and now am fighting for the other side. Recommended.
But, one can't read just heavy duty books.  One still needs the entertainment of the Elin Hilderbrand books.  Catch up with the characters from The Summer of 69 (the year I graduated from HS), 10 years later.
Bonfire at the beach to celebrate graduating from High School.  Drinking, cars, anger, young love........so much going on.  And the subsequent police investigation.
When summer jobs at the club change peoples lives, and coming of age.
*I continue to enjoy and recommend all the Elin Hilderbrand books.
Thoroughly enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it.  I watched it on Prime.
LOVED this movie.  I've always been a huge fan of Eleanor Roosevelt, what a remarkable woman she was.  The time frame of this story about her is right after her husband passed and how she got on with her life.  Jean Stapleton did a magnificent job portraying her.  Highly recommend this.  This too was on Prime.
Meh....very disappointed in this.  It had gotten such rave reviews when it and the silly Barbie movie came out at the same time in the theaters.  Can't recommend this, even though I'm probably out numbered on this opinion.

Gorgeous dark red/burgundy roses tinged with grayish.  Hubby brought these home for me a few days ago.  I've never seen any quite like this before.

28 comments:

  1. My goodness you are rocking through those blankets.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. Chipping away trying to use up lots of stash and all the squares that were donated through the years. It's an ongoing project.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandy... I just read your comment on my blog post.. I know just what you mean about the chainsaw!!! YIKES!!!
    I love the blankets and all the color!!
    I read The Boys in a Boat... loved the book.
    The roses are lovely.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla. I love colorful things too. Yeah the chain saw incident and him defending it made me ill.

      Delete
  3. Love your afghans, we have a few here that my wife made, they are nice and warm. I used to go to baseball games with my grandmother many years ago and still follow the Red Sox on the internet.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making good headway with my afghans and should have a reasonable number to donate again. Some come together faster than others, you're wife can no doubt attest to that. The memories you keep by following the Sox's is sweet.

      Delete
  4. The burgundy roses in the last picture , are indeed, gorgeous! Your afghans, display your great skill and patience.
    If given the chance, I would like to watch the movie on Eleanor Roosevelt; great woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to watch the movie, I really enjoyed it. She has long been a hero to me. The roses are hanging in there, maybe a few more days. They were so unusual I thought. Thank you for you kind words about my craft.

      Delete
  5. Your squares are lovely and the roses such a distinctive colour:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, these squares were a bit of challenge with so many different sizes; but I was pleased with the end result.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't realized that Jean Stapleton portrayed Eleanor Roosevelt in a film. I'd bet I'd really like this film as well. I remember when I first heard Jean's actual speaking voice. I almost fell over as it was so, so different from Edith Bunker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about her voice. It came as quite a shock to me as well. I loved the movie and hope you have a chance to watch it, she did a marvelous job.

      Delete
  7. Your Afghans are very pretty! How nice you got to see a ball game too, with the added pleasure of seeing your team win. Thank you for the book and movie recommends/non recommends. Good to go on. Very sweet of your hubby to bring home those beautiful roses. Have a great week Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your compliment on my afghan, much appreciated. Let me know if you watch the movie and or read the books what your thoughts are.

      Delete
  8. Firecracker is looking so good with all that red and the contrast black and blue colours. You have been making some really cool blankets lately.
    Thanks for the film recommendations, Sandy. The Eleanor Roosevelt one looks like one I would enjoy watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been trying hard to get as many of these afghans done as I can, and trying to use up my yarn stash to size them, join them etc.

      Delete
  9. I agree about Oppenheimer. I didn't care for the way it was done and really I was bored with it. Love the red afghan and I'm sure the pink will be just as pretty once you're done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandie, making headway with the pink one, but have been busy; so it's going a little slower than I would like.

      Delete
  10. The Afghans are gorgeous!
    I've taken note of the Prime films you mentioned and look forward to watching them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm having fun working my way through my stash and getting these pieces parts made into afghans that will help keep someone warm. Hope you enjoy the films.

      Delete
  11. Your afghan skills are on point. Afghans are prized possessions in our family. My grandma made me and my mom one. I got mom's when she passed away. She also made 3 of my 4 children crib-sized afghans that matched mine (blue for the boys, pink for my daughter). Sadly, she'd already passed by the time my youngest was born. We all cherish our afghans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the visit. I'll get you added to my blog list. I enjoy making the afghans, and you're right they are prized possessions. Sorry for your loss, but how sweet you have those special afghans in her memory.

      Delete
  12. Awesome to get out to a ballgame! So many beautiful projects you are working on and some interesting reads, as well. Sound like a full August! Wishing you a wonderful September. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍏🍏🍏🍏🍏 Thanks so much for reading and for your comment. Yes, it is hard to stay together and yet many kids are staying at home even longer these days, too. Even in my family we are dealing with separations, and it is hard to cope. Now their antidepressants to take and other medications to help the kids get on with school as well as the parents need them too. So different than the way I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are ellie about how life has changed. So different than when we were young. Some things are better, but some things are not. Life is so full of pressures. Thanks for the kind words about my many projects.

      Delete
  13. Wow, the afghans are fabulous. I must give that author a try, once I have finished my latest pile of books. Your hubby is really good at finding unusual coloured roses.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you read some of Hilderbrands books. I really enjoy them and hope you do too. The afghans are coming along, one after another and the stash is slowly being used up and or donated.

      Delete
  14. Hi Sandy...thank you for dropping by my blog. I admire those who have the talents you have. The Afghan pieces are beautiful...I can remember in my younger years, my SIL's mother made a beautiful afghan for me. I was too young to understand the work and love that she put into making this for me as a gift. I ended up getting rid of it. I have regretted this for a very long time now...I finally am old enough to respect the greatness in a gift this special.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, your roses are beautiful, such an unusual colour. We were looking for something to watch last night and came across Oppenheimer, we nearly gave it a go but didn't for some reason or other, I don't think I'll bother now.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.