I love having Followers, Thank You

Wednesday, February 01, 2023

Little Boy Blue, Yarn, Walk, Bike, Yoga and More!

 

Another project started.  I call this one, Car Scarf.  Not very creative a name.  I don't usually name my scarves, just the afghans; but I needed an easy on the eyes, no counting stitches for a car project.  Thus, Car Scarf.  LOVE these contrasting colors together, teal and gray.  This is my favorite go to yarn (Encore, Plymouth worsted weight).  Each skein is 200 yards, it's 75% acrylic and 25% wool, therefore washable; is in my opinion the softest everyday yarn.  I also have a teal tweed skein with me here in Hilton Head that would blend; but not sure how much yardage I will need since I'm not using a pattern...just knitting.  Stay tuned.

This was step 1 (see previous post)
Step 2, where everything had been edge with the dark blue for 2 rows.  Once you edge you can really begin to see the variety of sizes.

This is step 3, 4, and 5.  TaDah!  Light blue was then used on each square/rectangle.  Some squares (the larger ones), have 1 row of light blue, others 2 or 3 rows, but several had 4, and I think one had 5 (can't remember).  Then it was edge with 3 rows of the dark blue, tossed in washer (this is washable acrylic), then layed out and stretched a bit (blocked).  It's drying as we speak.  Typ;cally things soften up in the wash; but this didn't as much as others I've worked on.  Some pretty course yarn used here and there.  Once it's dried, I'll decide whether or not to wash a 2nd time to soften more.  

"Little Boy Blue"  

For those of you perhaps younger than me and unfamiliar with this childrens nursery rhyme.  This is what came to mind when I named this afghan.  It will be donated to The Homeless Families Foundation on my return to Ohio.

Chicken Enchilda's before plating it up
Awesome coffee with great froth
Stuffed mushrooms, parsley pasta, chicken parmesan with sliced tomatoes
Almost an omlet with fresh strawberries, sliced avocado, banana nut bread with cream cheese.  With a breakfast (brunch) like this you don't need much the rest of the day.  We've been eating well on this trip.



We're keeping fresh flowers in the condo.  Two sides of the same vase so you can see the whole thing.

WOW!!  Back to my love of WWll books.  This is a fusion of biography, letters, note, and diaries smuggled out of a prison in Berlin.  American, Mildred Harnack at the age of 26 travels to Berlin to enter a PhD program when the rise of The Nazi party took hold.  She orgnaized secret meetings in her apartment and was the ONLY American to head the German Resistenance to Hitler with acts of sabatage and more.  A truly remarkable young lady during a difficult time.  Mildred Harnack's Great-Great Niece is Rebecca Donner, the aurhor of this book.  PLEASE put this on you list and let me know what you think folks.  Highly recommended.

Can't compare January 2023 to December 2022, as I forgot to get a tall;y from my calendar before we left town; but I'm sure Janaury is better.

Bike:...have gone for 4 bike rides 3 miles each.  I don't ride at home, no decent trails, plus I really don't have a bike, so indeed better.

Planks 11 planks of 4 repeats of 45 second planks with 13 seconds of rest between.  I know I didn't do that many in December, just don't know how many I did.

Walks.  Went for 8 walks of varying distances.  Total steps for the month 281,528 for a total of 116.89 miles.

Yoga twice for the month, though I think I did a few more and forgot to record them.  

All in all, not a bad start to the New Year.  Now if I can only build on this.


38 comments:

  1. Beautiful Flowers
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we've been enjoying the flowers. Don't know why I haven't done this at home; but think we'll try to going forward.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful yarn work. My wife makes squares on a weaving square loom and then connects all the squares to each other. The chicken enchilda looks delicious. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your wife is pretty crafty. I've not done any weaving. Thanks for your kinds words, hope your wkend is great too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sandy. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm envious of your knitting abilities. I love to sew, but as my kids no longer need Halloween costumes I don't sew often. I'd love to learn to knit one day - maybe I'll be a knitting grandma. The projects are beautiful. How wonderful that the blanket will go to a needy family. What a treasure. Food and flowers look lovely. I can't eat gluten due to celiac, but the photos are making my mouth water. Yes, Ernie is a nickname. I'll explain in my response on my blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added you to my blog list and look forward to getting to know you here in the blogging world. There are some very good knitting video's, but it sounds like you may have more time later on. I'm very familiar with the gluten problem, as several family members deal with it. Enjoyed the story of your name.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sandy, I love your beautiful flowers. The teal yarn you are using for the car scarf is a favorite color of mine. So glad that you are reading/listening to a book you are enjoying. All the food looks great! You have been walking a lot! Good job. Glad that the year is off to a good start for you! See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a big fan of the color teal. Yes, I'm happy with my start to the new year, as the last couple of months have not been great.

      Delete
  5. Love that colour combination. And Little Boy Blue. The book sounds right up my (very broad) alley. Thank you.
    You have indeed started the year well - and put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you read the book what you think. I'm partial to that color combination on the car scarf as well.

      Delete
  6. You're an active person, with a lot of life interests: knitting, reading, walking, riding.
    The food displayed, the boy's little poem, and the flowers are a very attractive part of your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my posts. Hadn't thought of the childhood poem in years, but it popped in my head and seemed appropriate. I do try and stay pretty active. Both mentally and physically. Never understood people who say they get bored.

      Delete
  7. Great yarn work, and the food looks delicious too.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victor always appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  8. Your scarf is such a pretty colour. I don't mind a bit of mindless knitting, I can't knit in the car as it makes me feel sick if I'm looking down and not concentrating on the road, even when I'm a passenger, but I like plain, straightforward knitting for when I'm watching TV. I love to have fresh flowers in the house, especially at this time of year when there's so many lovely spring varieties about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm luck that I don't get car sick, I know many people do. It really helps pass the time in the car, plus gives me more knitting time. I also love the colors in the scarf. I also like the mindless knitting in front of the car, sometimes you just want to relax and not be needing to count and pay lots of attention.

      Delete
  9. It looks like you are enjoying yourselves. I love blue, so I think the afghan is very pretty. I remember my grandma making them when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember any of my aunts, or grandma knitting, crocheting or sewing when I was young, but my Mom was a talented seamstress and a friends grandmother taught me to crochet. I taught myself to knit years ago pre internet with a book. Love working with yarn.

      Delete
  10. I think I want to come to your house to eat, Sandy. Each dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over. I made plenty as you can see. 4 Pork Tenderloins, lol.

      Delete
  11. Wow the blanket turned out great and yes I do remember the nursery rhyme :-)
    The chicken enchildas look tasty and would be very welcome in this house too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, much appreciated. The chicken enchildas are always a hit. As a matter of fact made two large casserole dishes of them last evening for a dinner party for 6.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing about the book, I wrote it down on my To Read List.
    Your coffee looks good. ;-)
    And you know I love flowers.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed on the flowers. Let me know what you think of the book.

      Delete
  13. Food looks wonderful (Fresh-grown Strawberries are available now at the Farmer's Market here in SW Florida - something we never get tired of). Your exercise regimen is inspiring as are your reading choices. I'm pretty much a light-weight when it comes to both of those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberries, I would not tire of those either. Thank you for the encouragement

      Delete
  14. This post is full of eye candy and lipsmacking food.
    The knitting projects are coming along and I do like your color choices.
    Hilton Head in February is the place to be
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Cecilia. We are indeed enjoying our time in Hilton Head, trying to exercise to offset the food, lol.

      Delete
  15. How long are you in Hilton Head? My sister and I visited there a few years ago for our annual sister trip and loved it. That beach is just perfect for long runs (or walks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach is fabulous for walks or runs. We love it here and are happy to be spending the winter here this year.

      Delete
  16. Delightfully newsy and chatty post! Continue to enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra we are indeed enjoying our time here.

      Delete
  17. That scarf looks like a great car project! Sounds like you've had a great January with lots of productive days. I just added your book to my list as I think I've read another book about Mildred. She was amazingly brave, wasn't she? You are one amazing exerciser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy, much appreciate the kind words. Yes Mildred was truly amazing.

      Delete
  18. Great job on getting the new year kicked off with your exercising. Nice work! And the chicken enchilada looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's so much easier to be active here given the weather and being able to get outside.

      Delete
  19. Beautiful flowers, wonderful food... and enjoying nature by foot or bike :-) And then I have to say yoga is just great... keep it up.
    Many greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated.

      Delete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.