I love having Followers, Thank You

Thursday, February 16, 2023

Crocheting, World War II Books, Sunsets and More

 

Pastel Petals.  Pinks and purples, various sized squares and rectangles, but believe these pieces parts are closer in size than the previous afghan I made from donated squares.  

Ta Dah!  It's finished and laying here to dry/blocked.  I had enough of the light lilac color yarn in my stash that I didn't need to use multiple colors to edge and join, as I did with the previous "Little Boy Blue" afghan.

I don't typically do more than a basic straight edge for these afghans assembled from pieces parts, as most are colors that work for either a male or female; but this one is decitely female, and so I made a scalloped edge to finish it off.  You can see it in the picture with the whole afghan, but here's a close up.


We've had another dinner party, but not as large.  6 instead of 14 at our last one where I served chicken enchildas.  Which is not what is pictured here.  This is Chicken Marsala that I fixed for just hubby and I a few nights ago.

We enjoyed this Spanish wine so much we ended up ordering a few more bottles.  If you've not tried it, add it to your list.



We had a gorgeous sunset a few nights ago as I looked out the walk way making my way to take out the trash.  Was almos to late to get the picture.  Probably 5 minutes earlier was the best time.

Another beautiful bunch of flowers.  We've kept this, rather, hubby has kept this vase filled for me.  We've both enjoyed having flowers daily in the condo.  He brought these home to me ono Valentines Day.  I much prefer yellow roses over red, in case you're wondering.

This is the 3rd book of Louise Fein's I've read/listened to.  This is an historical fiction, but inspired by the authors fa,mily history with lots of addtional research done.  The book is extremely reviting, hard to put down.  There's what she knew as the daughter of a high ranking Nazi official vs what she begins to learn through her Jewish Friend, Walter.  Courage, love, danger and picking ones path are choices she makes during this difficult time.  I highly recommend this book folks.
Helmet for my Pillow is a personal narrative or Marine Corp Veteran, Robert Leckie.  You travel with him from basic training on Paris Island, South Caroline to the raging war in The Pacific Theater.  This book was published back in 1957.  He was inspired to write this book after seeing South Pacific on Broadway.  He thought it was important to let the public know, the war and all it's horror were NOT like a musical.  I thought I might not enjoy the book, since it seemed like it might be too masculine for me to enjoy; but I was totally enthralled with the book and highly recommend it.




26 comments:

  1. Sound like a lovely dinner party.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dinner party was quite nice.

      Delete
  2. The pastel colors are lovely. I made chicken Marsala recently, too. I had yellow roses for my wedding bouquet. I love that you are doing fresh flowers all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated. Chicken Marsala is one of our favorites. My Mom always said yellow was a happy color, so you must be a happy person, like me liking yellow.

      Delete
  3. That aphgan is so very pretty. I love the scalloped edge too. What a beautiful sunset. That dinner looks delish. I enjoy historical fiction, but have not read anything in that genre in quite a while. I've been leaning towards non-fiction lately, but mostly I try to read the books on the list for my book club and rarely have time to read much else until summer when I get to chill poolside . . . favorite time of year, obviously. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chillin poolside with a good book sounds perfect. Thank you, glad you also like the scallped edge on the ghan. I'm very pleased with how this one turned out. Some you just like better than others, lol.

      Delete
  4. That's a nice afghan. My wife has made a few of those through the years. The books sound good, I just finished, The Light of Days: Women Fighters of the Jewish Resistance by Judy Batallion, I thought it was great.
    To answer your question, I usually walk 4-5 miles a day but haven't been able to these past few months due to the crazy weather. Hopefully I'll get back on track soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill. Glad you liked The Light of Days. Good for you for your 4-5 miles per day. I used to do about 5 pretty regularly also, but then life got busy and weather interrupted. So, now I just keep trying to move some each day. Try to do better each day, week, month etc.

      Delete
  5. Oh my, I like the colors of your afghan... makes me have spring fever. ;-) We are bracing for a big snow storm, a possible 20 inches!!!
    I enjoy flower bouquets all year around too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree on Spring Fever. Hope your big storm doesn't last long and is less than predicted. Good luck.

      Delete
  6. Your afghan is superb! So is the sunset; yet
    sunset is also a bit scary. According to superstitions, a red sky might indicate an upcoming war or Nature's fury (fires, lava erruptions etc...).
    Spanish wine and olive oil are the best, in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words about the afghan. Didn't know that about a sunset, interesting. We always say red sky at night sailors delight, red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.

      Delete
  7. I have never bought much Spanish wine, but recently a house guest brought a bottle for us and it was very enjoyable. I must get a little more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other thing about Spanish wine is, it's often more reasonably priced.

      Delete
  8. Nice afghan! You always have such good book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Debra on both accounts.

      Delete
  9. The pastel colors are lovely. That was a lovely dinner party.
    New post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/02/muzen-otr-portable-retro-fm-radio.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melody, much appreciated.

      Delete
  10. Sandy - love how you finished off this afghan! Thanks for the book recommendations - my daughter and I like to read books at the same time and then discuss them. Daughter of the Reich seems right up our alley! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment on the afghan, much appreciated. Let me know what you think of the book.

      Delete
  11. Crochet, dinner parties, good books - I think you have a nice routine going. Take care, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn, it is indeed a nice routine.

      Delete
  12. I left a comment but don't see it now. I was saying how pretty the blanket is, the different squares work lovely together. And your roses are gorgeous, I much prefer yellow roses over red ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, much appreciate your kind words. Perhaps a blog oophs nixed your comment.

      Delete
  13. I do like the pastel colours.

    We don't very often have Spanish wine, perhaps we will have to try some!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, appreciate it. Hope you find some good Spanish wines.

      Delete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.