I love having Followers, Thank You

Monday, January 16, 2023

Starts and Finishes With Knitting and The New Year

 

Another completed knitted project.  My Outlander scarf/shawl is done!  It's been soaked, and blocked and worn twice!  It's so soft, I love it.  Wonderful yarn to work with and to wear.  I love how the colors blended.  This yarn, as you might remember was a gift from my Darling Daughter.  She Rocks, by the way.

Pieces parts!  When I had my grassroots charity,. Bridge and Beyond (for 14 years), people would send me squares, rectangles and things they had left over.  As you can see these pieces are not the same size.  Sometimes when other charities folded they would send me things they had left.  Some are knitted, some are crocheted.  I would design, label, and bag.  I've always named the would be afghans and called this one Little Boy Blue.  I would use my stash to find yarn that would blend with these pieces parts and begin edging them to get them to flatten out better and to start getting them to be the same size so they could be joined.

While I closed the charity a year ago, I still have things to work on to donate.  Here's the start.

They're coming closer to being the same size, but.........I edge with 2 rows each, then see how much of the dark blue I have in my stash to determine if I have enough to continue using the dark blue to bring to size, or if I'll need to switch to the light blue you see in the upper left corner.  It's a process, a bit like putting a puzzle together.  But, it's coming along

Belated Happy New Year to you all.  I hope everyone had a safe and fun New Years and that 2023 brings us all closer to being done with Covid, and that the poor folks in Ukraine can improve their situation.


A very powerful book about the power of Harvey Weinstein and sexual misconduct.  How the Me Too Movement got started, and how long this sad situation insued.

Just a few of the women involved.  It was of course in the news, so many people know about it, but  reading/listening to the book tells you so much more than we knew.  Well worth the read or listen.  Incrediable journalism.


Another non WWII book I've listened to and highly recommend, The Story of Helen Keller.  She was far more accomplished than I knew.  Put it on your list, if you've not already read or listened to it.


I've not tabulated my numbers for December on my exercising.  Forgot to do that before we left for the winter, so will have to see if I still have my notes when I return home.  But, I'm getting a good start I think to the New Year.  I've rented a bike for the duration and know that will help me be more active.  Plus, the weather is nicer so getting out to take some walks will be easier as well.  We'll see how I fair here in January.

All ready for our dinner party.  We managed to fit 14 in for dinner last night.  We catch up with other folks who come for the winter or a big chunk of it.  It's fun to see the same folks each year.  We call ourselves the January Gang.
One of my friends brought me these beautiful yellow roses (yellow is a favorite for me), she said yellow means friendship.  Everyone enjoyed seeing the pretty flowers.

I prepared 4 pork tenderloins with a sauce that everyone always loves.  Syrup, garlic, rosemary, and ground mustand.

2 Large casserole dishes of red skins, and brussel sprouts.  I had to cook the sprouts a bit before I could add the butternut squash, as the squash was cut in smaller pieces than it typically is, also added cranraisins (I like cranberries, but couldn't get any).  Forgot to take a picture of the salad which was a mix of greens and caprese style tomatoes and fresh mozzarella in a small log almost to sit on top of the greens.  Drizzeled with balsamic glaze makes for a pretty and colorful salad.  Whew, slept in this am, we were a bit tired.

Need to get out and visit you all (everyone on my blog list), to catch up.  Been since Christmas since I've posted and done any blog walking.  See you all soon.







46 comments:

  1. The shawl is lovely. The colours blend nicely.

    Happy New Year to you as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jackie, appreciate the kind words.

      Delete
  2. So glad your back, I was wondering about you.
    The blue square of crochet and knitting looks so fun, can't wait to see it when it done.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for thinking about me. Sipping coffee as we speak.

      Delete
  3. I love your putting together pieces to make something beautiful! That's a form of art, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your visit and sweet words of encouragment. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fab dinner party with great company and delicious food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out very well, thanks; a good time was had.

      Delete
  5. Love that shawl.
    Happy reading, crafting and exercising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shawl will be one of my favorites for sure. Thank you, I try to keep at it with the crafting and exercising and reading.

      Delete
  6. You had a great feast! Happy New Year! Who can believe that January is already more than half over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True half over, things just happen so fast anymore. Slow down world. It was a feast.

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of a January Gang. It gives something to look forward to in a dreary month. The food looked and sounded great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are. January is such a dull month, but the January gang really spices it up.

      Delete
  8. The shawl looks great, Sandy, as does the Little Boy Blue blanket. It's good that you were able to enjoy your time with the January Gang.
    Happy New Year to you too.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ellie, hope January is going well for you as well.

      Delete
  9. How lovely for so many of you to get together each year like that. I hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did, getting together with the January Gang is a highlight for us. We toasted to it.

      Delete
  10. Great dinner party arrangement!
    I like your knitting creativity and your reading habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Duta, was a good time. Am making good headway on the afghan.

      Delete
  11. ...I hope that 2023 is off to a good strat for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far 2023 seems to be good, hope it stays that way. Thanks

      Delete
  12. The knitting looks lovely; and all that food too. Tasty. What a job cooking for 14 people.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victor. It was a load of food prep and cooking, but it all turned out nicely. I was tired the next day.

      Delete
  13. The shawl looks beautifully warm and cosy. How lovely to have a group of friends to share the colder months with, something nice to look forward to in January. Wishing you and your family a happy new year and all the very best for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jo. Having the group to look forward to in January really helps us get through the winter, which neither of us are a fan of.

      Delete
  14. Your dinner looks amazing! I'm sure everyone loved it.

    Helen Keller was such a pioneer and thinking back to when she was raised, truly amazing. I read her biography many times when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. Helen Keller was truly amazing. I knew she was before reading the book, but was amazed at how much more she had accomplished than I knew previously. What a roll model

      Delete
  15. The shawl is a beauty, very pretty. I hope you have a wonderful 2023 with lots of happiness and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated new year to you as well. Looks like a pretty swell dinner party and thanks for the book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had a good time and there may have to be another given how successful this one was; but not for awhile. I need to rest up, lol

      Delete
  17. I love that Little Boy Blue afghan you are making. I heard about "She Said" and really want to read it. I think I will see if our library has the audio and I can at least put it on hold. Glad that 2023 is off to a good start for you! See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you get the book what you think of it. Thank you for your kind words about Little Boy Blue. Yes, let's hope 2023 is better for all of us.

      Delete
  18. Anonymous7:41 PM

    Hello, Thank you for sharing She Said, I need to read this book, I want to be educated on this subject.
    I love the idea of the January Gang. ;-) The yellow roses are lovely. The food sounds delicious.
    Carla T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla, please don't leave an anonymous comment. Leave your name and url so I can return to your blog. Hope you get the book, it's an important topic for sure.

      Delete
  19. I had almost forgotten about this guy until I noticed his trial is finally coming up. Looks like you have been busy knitting this January. Wishing you a great February on it's way❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, these trials and all the build up seem to take forever. Thank you on the knitting. Hope things are wel for you as well.

      Delete
  20. I can't knit...drove 2 grandma's nearly to drink trying to teach me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some good U-tube video's that you might find helpful in trying to learn. Plus most yarn shops, and places like JoAnns and Michaels give lessons for in person learning.

      Delete
  21. Flowers are always a nice touch. Those yellow roses look especially lovely (as did your spread).
    I watched the film adaptation of the book, She Said. Even though I knew, roughly, most of the Weinstein story already, I found the film's contents to be a gut punch. The two leads did a fab job as did Ashley Judd--playing herself!--and the incomparable Samantha Morton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to watch the show. Things like this have been going on for far too long and we need to keep putting this information before the public if we're ever going to have real change and put a stop to power hungry abusive men.

      Delete
  22. Those yellow roses look beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we enjoyed them for about a week.

      Delete
  23. A great festival, yes good food is part of it and is definitely popular.
    Your scarf has become beautiful, I wish you happy work with the small blue squares... it will be beautiful :-)))
    Happy 2023 to you and yours.
    hug Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. Work continues on Little Boy Blue, but am making good headway.

      Delete
  24. Hope you don't have to wait too long for the book. Let me know what you think of it. Thank you for the encouragment with the exercising etc.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.