I love having Followers, Thank You

Sunday, August 02, 2026

Books Memes and Flowers Oh My

 

A fun summer read.  Who doesn't love a good love story.  I've not read any of Carley Foirtune's other books, but probably will look for some now.  You need some fluff books in-between some heavier books.  I will say some of the love scenes are a bit too graphic as a warning if that's not your cup of tea.  I think it didn't really add to the story and would have preferred less of that.  But, the book was fun.
Wow, North of Ordinary by Sue Aikens was WILD!  This is no ordinary lady, truly living out in the middle of nowhere Alaska, on her own for a good portion of the time.  It's a very adventurous book.  She does things I would never consider doing.  On one hand I admired her and on the other I think she was a bit crazy.  A good read!  
In Five Years by Rebecca Serle a very interesting mix of friendship, loss, strange love story vs successful high powered career.
Ghosts of Honolulu by Mark Harmon and Leon Carroll, Jr. is a powerful book about the preplanning behind the scenes plans for the Japanese Americans before the bombing of Pearl.  I consider the camps they were forced into to be a very big mistake by our government (but, I think they faired better than those forced into camps in our current times).  The book was very educational, and I enjoyed it.  Mark Harmon of CSI fame and his co-author Leon Carroll, Jr who was in fact a CSI agent make a good writing team.
Forty Autumns by Nina Willner an inspiring and sad story of a single family when the wall was built and when it came down.  Most of the family lived in depressed circumstances behind the Iron Curtain............one escaped.
Beach Read by Emily Henry, another good summer read.  Two authors who write very different styles of books, one is full of hope, the other dark.  How their personal lives are projecting into their writing styles, and the competition between them that turns into a love story.

There have many meme's lately because there's so much material to work from.  Thought this one was one of the better ones about proof of life for Mitch.  A little extra fun making fun of Rubio wearing shoes trump got him to wear even though they don't fit.  I don't believe Mitch is still alive personally, or he's in a coma.  Either way, it seems to me the entire Republican Party is disgusting for not coming forward.  I believe they are more than concerned about the midterms and are doing everything they can think of to rig the elections.
And who doesn't like a good Dr. Seuss!
I saved this picture awhile back and no longer remember which city this was posted in.

I haven't knitted much so no new pictures cause the afghans don't look much different.  Maybe next time where you can see something new or different.

We had to have the 2 trees in the front trimmed recently.  Was surprised at all the equipment they used.
And sadly we had to have the tree in back cut down.  It was very damaged from multiple storms and was pretty hallow inside, a danger if it fell.  Hated to lose a tree, but it was necessary.  We're going to have 2 planted in the back yard.  Currently waiting on an estimate and some suggestions of what type of trees to plant.  I asked about Red Maples and River Birches, so they'll give estimates for those as well as suggesting others that would be good in our area.

Still fighting the deer and rabbits I've got cages around everything in the Butterfly Garden.  I think I'm making headway
I've not seen this color for Phlox before.  I had purple for years but the deer ate it so badly last year, it didn't come back so I bought this new one.  Fingers crossed.
You can see the difference in my Pink and Red Hibiscus.  These were transplanted years ago from my parents yard and are a real favorite of mine.  The Red always bloom before the Pink, but the Pink are always taller and the flower itself larger.  Knock on wood, thus far it seems to be the only flower in my yard that the Deer and Rabbits leave alone.


42 comments:

  1. Nice list of interesting books. I'm going to read the North of Ordinary, it sounds good. Forty Autumns sounds good too. Have a nice rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think after you read North of Ordinary. I couldn't put the book down.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandy, I like your list of books. Your photos are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing, and I also wish to thank you for your visit and kind comment on my blog! It really means so much to me and I appreciate you. I hope you have a wonder filled rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda for your kind words, much appreciated. Let me know if you read any of these books.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy keeping up with you, Sandy! Having been a great reader through the years, I am currently having difficulty maintaining my focus. Too much to distract me, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when life gets busy that can happen pretty easily. I've seen some folks post that in an online book group. Someone said if you're used to reading a physical book and are in a slump, try an ebook or audio and vice versa to see if that helps break the slump.

      Delete
  4. I love the poem in the style of Dr Seuss!!!
    I don't know why I never planted any Hibiscus. They're so lovely and the blooms seem to stay quite a while.
    I hope you're finding lots of quiet shady spots to read as summer heat continues!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a kick out of the poem as well. Having trouble with shade at the moment, we had to cut down the large tree in the backyard, as it was badly damaged. We need and plan to plant 2 to take it's place.

      Delete
  5. Good poem there. What pretty coloured hibiscuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. The Hibiscus are a favorite for me.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful hibiscus - it's good they're not to the deer's taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far they seem to be about the only thing their leaving alone. Never had such a bad year with the deer and rabbits. But, am grateful they're leaving them alone, as they're a favorite.

      Delete
  7. Your plants are looking beautiful. Those hibiscus are such vibrant colours. I have a couple of hibiscus, although not the same variety as yours and they seem to be some of the most resilient plants I have. They are flowering away despite not having had any rain since before June.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had an abundance of rain, too bad I can't share it with you. You're right they seem to be very hardy!

      Delete
  8. You always post such funny memes and an excellent selection of books! I'm interested in a few of the latter! Your flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shari, glad you enjoyed the meme's. Sing out when you read one of the books, always fun to see what others think.

      Delete
  9. I planted two red maples and a river birch where we had trees taken down last fall and they are both doing well although we do have them covered because of the deer. They were having a good old time munching on the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea, we thought...depending on how big the trees were when they get planted to put fencing around them at least until they get established to keep the deer at bay.

      Delete
  10. Love the "Dr. Seuss" poem. Fingers crossed for your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy the Dr. Seuss. I thought it was pretty cleaver. Things are improving a bit for the flowers, but.......nothing is growing as large as I think they would have without all the abusive animals.

      Delete
  11. Sandy,
    You always make me smile sharing your meme's.
    Thank you for sharing the books... I always appreciate your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy the books and the memes. Let me know if you read any of the books what you think.

      Delete
  12. ...Sandy, thanks for being a fellow resister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to stick together and keep up the pressure. Got my toes and fingers crossed for November!

      Delete
  13. I have nothing to add about the orange mofo that I haven't already said. ARGH!
    Your hibiscus are beauties; I love the lines/their veins (?) I don't know what they're called but those lines give them a lovely texture.
    Be well, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn, much appreciate the support. I'm trying to be hopeful about November. Agree on the texture of the Hibiscus.

      Delete
  14. Very enjoyable post Sandy, a lot to take in here, all very interesting and covering a multitude. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, always good to have you visit.

      Delete
  15. I don't know if you're aware but there are lots of popups on your blog and the blog page itself jumps all over the place once it's loaded, my elderly laptop really struggles with it. Just thought I'd mention it in case you're not aware. Your hibiscus are beautiful, such wonderful colours, thank goodness the deer and rabbits are leaving them alone, haha. Love the Dr Seuss style poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I'm not seeing that problem at my end, so maybe it's your older computer? But, the ads have gotten to be a bit of a nuisance. We used to be able to control them, but settings have changed and we don't seem to have the control we used to. I will though take a look and see if there's something I can change. Thanks for sing out.

      Delete
  16. Wonderful flowers. Thank you for visiting my Blog.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many good books--so little time! This month I'm digging into my Kindle library and reading some really good backlist books.

    I stopped collecting Trump and Co. memes--I think they are all amusing, but at this point it's just darned depressing that this nonsense is continuing. Don't even get me started about Mitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya about being depressing. I keep trying to make fun to keep from losing my mind. AND the whole thing Mitch is beyond disgusting.

      Delete
  18. Always a shame when a tree has to be cut down. Hopefully you will find something suitable to replace it with. Your hibiscus plants are stunning and such lovely colours.
    I shall look out for the book by Mark Harmon, it looks an interesting read. Thank you for the suggestion and review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the tree, been chatting with the landscaper and think we've settled on Red Sunset Red Maple. Not sure when it will all take place. Hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  19. It's always sad to lose a tree, but sometimes nothing else can be done. Your flowers are such lovely colours, glad they are safe from both deer and rabbits:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a fun roundup, Sandy! A good mix of light summer romances and intense history/memoirs is the best way to spend reading time. Can't wait to see the progress on your afghans in the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your hibiscus are gorgeous, Sandy. Amazing how the red and pink varieties bloom differently—nature always keeps us guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great list of reads! You have been busy and awesome that you can knit in the summer. I like crocheting in the fall, but by then a little too late for gift giving. Thanks so much for your visits. Wishing you a great August and more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the books and your Hibiscus are such beautiful colours.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck in your Garden War against the deer and rabbits!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.