I love having Followers, Thank You

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Building Red Brick

first designI assemble (build) afghans from donated squares through my charity blog, Bridge and Beyond. One of two things happens as the squares come in. Depending on what I'm working on and how many squares I have on hand...I either design a ghan with the squares, label and bag it for future assembling, OR the squares go into my square collection area. Then periodically I dump sort and design those squares in the collection area. Such was the case here. This group of red and brown squares (lots of sizes), were bagged and labeled as I worked on other afghans. I always take pictures so I remember how I had it layed out.

adding new squaresReviewed the above, measured it and thought it a bit small, and if I added lots of edging rows thought it wouldn't quite be what I wanted. So, looked through my squares collection area...after all, since the original design in picture 1, other squares had come in. I added about a dozen squares and felt this would work be an appropriate size.

edging and joiningUnlike real bricks and mortar knitted and crocheted squares can be moved around. Since there were sooooooo many different sizes here of both squares and rectangles, things needed to be moved to better fit. A real work in progress. Hoping to have this finished in short order. After it's all pieced together, I'll edge with several rows of red, then some brown...at least that's my current plan. I enjoy how funky and different these ghans come out when made from lots of different squares, but they do require extra work to get them together....much like a puzzle.

Since last week's YOP blog post, Got Brown Afghan has been completed, as has the shades of gray scarf. Both were pictured on Finished Object Friday's Post Here. Additionally, I've started working on the Feb cloth for Cotton Cloth Calendar Challenge; but....need to frog it, or at least part of it.

12 comments:

  1. I love the red! This will be a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the red blocks all together, it's very clever how you match them all up....it can't be easy.

    I love the got brown, wow that looks so good finished, what a great cause too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do make the most wonderful blankets!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have lots of patience putting together your blankets. Not having all the squares the same size is a challenge, but you do it all so well.

    Red brick will be gorgeous once completed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose, Faith, Keri, and hakucho many thanks for your sweet comments. This one has been both fun and tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you've made very good progress! The blocks and borders you've added really unify the entire blanket. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely ghan you've made there, wow stunned by your talent. Loved your finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow! You are so creative! I found it interesting to read how you go through squares and lay them out in a sample blanket. Smart to take pics so you'll remember.
    That is a wonderful final layout.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are looking great, love the reds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:16 PM

    Excellent! I am so impressed, it really can't be easy assembling squares from so many people in varying yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red is a wonderful, bright cheery color. It's one of those colors that both men and women like. The darker shades also complement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks really pretty. And to add it is red, I like the color. Interesting hobby you have here. I wish I have the skill too.

    Marms

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.