I love having Followers, Thank You

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Yummy Baby Alpaca, Chunky and Fabulous

knitted red scarfThis beautiful luscious red scarf is made with 2 different sizes of knitting needles, 10 and 17. This stitch is called Condo stitch and is straight garter stitch knitted alternatively with the 2 different sizes.
knitted lace
You can see how lacy the stitch can be in this photo where the scarf was held up next to a light in order to see through it. The suggestion is to use the size needle suggested on the yarn wrapper for your small needle and then go as big as you like, depending on how open you want the lace to be. I like this 7 size difference. My daughter made this fabulously soft scarf for her school secretary as a special gift to thank her for all the extra things she's done. The yarn is Cascade yarns, Baby Alpaca Chunky ( a bit pricey but this is a special gift).

Below is my start using the same technique but with size 8 and 15 needles and some rather nice high end wool. I say high end, because I rarely purchase fiber of this nature; but am treating myself. I've not made myself a scarf in about 5 years and those I have are looking pretty pathetic. I love the fun colors in this yarn. Crystal Palace Taos 100% wool. Daughter needed to take needles with her so I'll knit this off onto my round Denise needles and attach a different size to each end.
scarf in the works

6 comments:

  1. Both scarves are very pretty. I love garter stitch but I have never done it with two different sized needles. There is always something new to learn, right?

    happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am relearning to knit and crochet. Self-taught, so I don't know many stitches, but the grandkids mostly care about the color. Love the two-size-needles idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I like that splurge yarn. I swear, someday I am going to learn to knit. Things like the scarf you've started are so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I love baby alpaca. It's so comforting to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The red scarf does look super soft, the secretary is sure lucky.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI SANDY,
    LOVE THE SCARF, IT DOES LOOK THINCK, WARM, AND SOFT. YOU DO BEAUTIFUL WORK. RIZZI

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.