I love having Followers, Thank You

Sunday, November 20, 2022

Hogan's Heroes, Thanksgiving, Anne Fran

 

Just a few days ago this popped up on Facebook.  An article from The New York Post.  Not a publication I typically read, so was surprised it was in my feed.  I loved the sow Hogan's Heroes, and LeBeau was a favorite character.  What I didn't know about him at the time was he was in fact a survivor of The Holocaust.  At the age of 16 he was taken from Paris to Auschwitz Concentration Camp along with his family.  He was one of 14 children born to Orthodox Parents.  His parents were gassed, and none of his siblings lived.  He was moved from Auschwitz to Buchenwalk were he spent 31 months incarcerated.  He worked in a wooden shoe factor making heals.  

He was a performing and believes one reason he was spared was because he sang and entertain The SS officers every other  Sunday.  He was liberated and returned to Paris and performed, both dancing and singing; and then sailed for The United  States were he performed on soap operas, Broadway and most notably, "Hogan's Heroes".

He has written a biography, which is on my to read list:


I was fascinated to learn this about him, and wanted to share.  Perhaps you all knew this?

How many of you go through a check list like this when you leave the house?  I know my hubby does, checking pockets etc.  I doubt he thinks of the stove and or iron, but certainly the other items.



A book perhaps you read back in High  School?  I didn't read it back then.  Frankly, I never liked reading when I was younger and always fundged a book report by reading the first, last, and middle chapter of the book.  So, I guess I'm making up for lost time.  

Things I didn't know:

  1. She was in hiding 761 days (25 months).  
  2. That only her father lived through the concentration camp captiviity
  3. That they were multiple versions of the book.  This one is a combination of the first one written (without any conversation about sexuality).  Her Father Adolph censored that out.
  4. Her last diary was written August 1st, 1944, and she was arrested on August 4th, and the Germans surrendered to the US on May 8th, 1945.  Just a few months after she was arrested.  
Not sure what I make of her as a teenager.  On one hand her situation seemed far better than many who were in hiding, or taken early to camps.  At times she seemed very nasty to her family and the others in hiding with them.  I didn't find her endearing.  Did you?  Would love to know your thoughts.

My asymetrical scarf looks pretty much the same even though I've spend quite a bit more time working on it.  It truly is taking much longer to complete than I anticipated.


Spotted this Turkey on a recent walk.  I don't decorate outdoors for this holiday, do you?  I've seen some in the neighborhood, but far less than Halloween decorations.  If you're traveling for the holiday, please be safe.  If you're gathering with family, I hope you enjoy yourself and everyone stays healthy.  We'll not be doing the large family gathering this year, since hubby just recently had surgery.  Many thanks to all that left kind messages.  His surgery went well and he feels better each and everyday.

21 comments:

  1. What a lovely handwriting you've got!!
    When leaving home my main concern is to turn off gas and electricity and see that windows and doors are closed.
    My parents were both Holocaust survivors, so this topic is very close to me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled to know your parents were survivors. So many didn't survive. ((HUGS)) to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I have not read Anne Frank's story in a long time, you have me thinking I should read it again.
    I liked the floor mat. Ha!
    Most of all thank you for sharing about Robert Clary.
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, appreciated. Let me know if you re-read Anne Frank and what you think of her reading it as an adult. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

      Delete
  3. That article also popped up in my FB feed. Did he just pass away? I also had read an interesting article about Don Knotts in my FB feed. I read the Diary of Anne Frank in school and have no desire to revisit it. I'm over WW2 stories. There seems to be a preponderance of it right now. I absolutely think it's important that we remember, but it's just not helpful for my mental health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he just passed at the age of 96, which I forgot to add in my blog post. Sometimes we have to pace ourselves with what we read and what we watch.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know about Robert Clary but once I saw his photo and title of his book, I remembered him. Anne Frank, I read years ago when I was younger and still have the book. I thought it was a good insight from young person's perspective. Enjoy your week, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill, you enjoy your week as well. Reading that about Robert Clay really hit me. I've read many books about WWII and horrible camps, but somehow this put a face to it all.

      Delete
  5. I know the story of Anne Frank but I have never read the book. Maybe I should now.
    Our check list is always 'Have you got your phone' ' Have you locked the front door'. Quite often we have to do a double check on the doors even though we are pretty sure we did it!! Strange people aren't we :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all 2nd quess ourselves when we recheck doors, lights etc. If you read the book, Anne Frank, please let me know. Would love to hear your thoughts. I knew the story as well; but hadn't read it before.

      Delete
  6. I read Anne Frank's book when I was in high school, and then taught it to a class of 9th graders some years ago. My 9th grade class may be reading it again this year. I totally agree with your comment about Herschel Walker on my blog. Glad to hear that your hubby is doing well after his surgery. Sometimes quiet holidays are best. I hope you have a good week. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you students think about Anne? I thought she was so rude to her parents, curious what teens thought. Got my fingers crossed for you all in Georgia, and what happens there will indeed have an affect on us all.

      Delete
  7. I hear about the right fob and one car behind the other. We had that for years and then hubby had a parking spot added, so not a full 2 car drive, not enough room for that, but a separate spot to park, which has made life a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read that book a few times since high school and find new and interesting tidbits of Anne's life each and every time. It would be difficult to be crushed into a small space and needing to be quiet most of the time. I can see me getting a bit irate with my parents and the others as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points, I was thinking of the people who litteraly were in someone's attic with no room to move vs there having this huge space with multiple rooms, even the ability to take a bath. That it seemed they had it so much better than lots of folks did. They even had access to the outside world through their helpers, and left the house a little when going to the doctor. Still the whole situation was sad, harder for some than others.

      Delete
  9. What I also didn't know until living in CH is that Otto Frank settled in Basel after the war.
    I don't decorate the outside of my home for the holidays.
    Now we have two cats, so I'll probably not put up a tree either as I can see both of them using it like a jungle gym.
    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the added info about Otto Frank. I can see why with cats you might not do much decorating inside.

      Delete
  10. It is very sad that there is once again a resurgence of antisemitism, with all the old tropes being resurrected. A former president is happy to have lunch with rabid antisemites and holocaust deniers, while Jews need armed guards at synagogues to pray. The world has gone mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are David. It's happening again and the orange person who used to occupy Our White House is very responsible for it all. I keep hoping we can turn back or move past, but he keeps stirring things up. A true low life human in my opinion. And the fact that people still believe and follow him disgusts me beyond measure.

      Delete
  11. I agree that Anne Frank may come across as unpleasant on occasions to her family but we have to remember she was a teenager, with all the hormonal issues that brings, shut up in a small area with not just her family but other people who she didn't know to begin with, sharing that small space, with the risk of being betrayed all the time and no way to get outside and enjoy nature. As a teenager, I had times when I was being pretty unpleasant and I had a nice family, safe space etc. I think her diary gives some idea of what it must have been like for the Jews in hiding and is such a valuable document.
    (I haven't been receiving any notifications about your blog posts, so apologies for not seeming to comment very much recently - I'm not sure what happened, but I will keep checking in!)
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent points about Anne Frank. Thanks for the visit. I always visits all the blogs on my list after I've written a new post; so when you get a comment from me you'll know there's a new post. I think many people have trouble with those readers and notifications. I've never used them.

      Delete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.