I love having Followers, Thank You

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Put on your Apron

eggsPut on your apron and join me in the kitchen. I make egg casserole in batches typically. At Christmas I make tons of it. I don't bake, I don't make cookies, I make egg casserole. Everyone gets a casserole or 2 or 3 for their families from me on Christmas Eve which they then can cook for Christmas morning brunch. We have a fruit salad and champagne with ours. It's a long standing family tradition.

I also make egg casserole for all home Ohio State Footfall games that are noon games. It makes a great tailgate breakfast/brunch also. There we serve bloody mary's with it. Others in our tailgate group bring fruit salad, and potatoes to go with it.

My daughter made a bunch of this a few years back for her classroom, added fruit salad too. It was part of her lesson plan on table manners. They all learned about setting the table, putting a napkin in your lap, keeping your elbows off the table, not talking with food in your mouth, and not eating until everyone was served. They loved this lesson as the final was them serving each other the brunch she had prepared for them.

My Darling Daughter made another batch of this not too long ago for her teachers. She's in a new city now and so this was new to them. It was a business brunch and her egg casserole was a huge success.

My niece recently facebooked me to ask how to make it. She made it for her dorm in Texas. She's an RA there and made it for her group, and there too it was a huge hit.

6 eggs
6 slices of bread cubed
2 cups milk
1 cup grated sharp cheedar cheese
1 pound cooked sausage.

Combine and beat eggs and milk and cheese, add bread, add cooled cooked and drained sausage. Pour into a greesed baking dish(casserole pan etc.) and leave in fridge over night. Cook at 350 about 45 minutes, until golden brown on top and your knife/toothpick comes out almost clean.

Options:
add onion, spice to your liking, mushrooms, green or red peppers

Serve with breakfast rolls, juice, fruit salad and enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds great, Sandy. I think I had this many years ago and lost the recipe. What size casserole pan do you use and it serves how many?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a 10 x 14 I think, and it serves 8 nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy D.8:34 AM

    Thanks for the recipe, Sandy. This looks good. Always looking for something new to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how you like it Joy. It's never failed to be a hit.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made something similar at my church for a brunch, but I think we put ham in it instead of the sausage. Can't remember the detailed, but I remember making it in a large quantity. It was a big hit so I can only imagine yours is delicious too. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I will definitely have to try this! ::drool::

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good recipe to add to my collection. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks nancy, Sus, and hakucho, apprecaite your visits and comments. Nancy this is always a hit, give it a try and let me know you like it.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.