I love having Followers, Thank You

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Emergency Surgery

I've neglected all my wonderful blogging friends here of late. Initially I was out of town on vacation, and then once I returned have been spending most of my time at the hospital. My Mom has had a hernia for some time; that has now escalated. She was sick, over 24 hours at home and things were not subsiding. When you vomit that long and hard you get dehydrated and ultimately she ended up in the ER. Through x-rays and cat scans it was determined she needed emergency surgery. Her stomach and colon were twisted and up inside her diaphram. This is a very major surgery. Part of her stomach and colon have been removed. She has IV's, and drains-tubes everywhere you look. She's on a ventilator, has a G-tube, a colostomy, foley, central line, arterial line, and I think one other that I can think what it's called. She's in Intensive Care. She is alert, and knows we're there; though with the ventilator is unable to speak. She's got a very long hard road ahead and is listed as critical but stable.

They've turned of the ventilator a couple of times to see how she does breathing on her own; and that's quite a labor for her. As I understand it, she'll remain in ICU until they're able to remove the ventilator. The surgeon initially told us she could be in ICU a day or a month, he wasn't able to give us a time table; it all just depended on how she did. He said this is a major surgery for someone half her age. We feel like each day she's a tiny bit better, but they keep telling us she's not out of the woods; still much can happen so it's an hour by hour, day by day thing.

Since only 2 can visit at one time, and hours are restricted in ICU, we have lots of time sitting in the waiting room and I have taken yarn with me. It's nice to have something to work on, also helps to occupy my mind a bit. I've managed to finish the scarf I was knitting and have a 2nd one going; switching off a bit to work on a preemie blanket. Gotta keep mind and fingers busy, helps not to worry as much.

I'm behind updating The Bridge, but am chipping away, so please do swing over and check things out.

When things calm down, I'll come visiting.

10 comments:

  1. Keeping you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,
    Keeping you and your family in my prayers...mom is in very good hands in the ICU, one on one care...we'll keep the light on for you......

    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is terrible! I will certainly be praying for your mom! I hope she is out of the woods soon and they're able to take that ventilator off so she can talk. She must be miserable! Glad you have your crochet to keep you busy. I know how it is to wait in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that Sandy! I hope your mother gets better soon!! How awful! I'll be thinking about you and your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to copy and paste your explanation. You did a good job...it's still so unusual and confusing to try to describe.

    I'm thinking that I'll go over to the hospital at around noon so Dad can go home for lunch. How does that sound? I'll leave around 3:00. By then, it will be close to time for Chuck or Mike to come back. Maybe we can figure out a schedule while I'm there....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear what your mom is going through. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH my word Sandy.....MY thoughts and prayers are with all of you.....remembering your earlier posts on the subject of the hernia, I am so ticked off by the medical "profesionals" and I know you have to be also.....
    Take care and keep thinking good thoughts.....
    BIG HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a long haul for your mom and for all of you!
    I'll keep you in my prayers! Hope she recuperates well and you all have a chance to recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Talk about a bad day... Do stay busy, it always helps with the mental aspect of handling what is handed to you. I will say special prayer for your mom and for you as well. Know that you are not alone. A dear friend of mine named Kat told me once "sometimes when life is too much and we are weak, we need others to pray for us". I have took heed to that and allowed my friends pray for me when I couldn't pray for myself. {hug hug}

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been behind on reading blogs. Sorry to hear about all that you've been going through w/your Mom. You're all in my prayers. We went through similar stuff w/my Mom....twice!

    My mom's doing good now. She'll be 88 yrs. old this May.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url. Do NOT use anonymous. You can use hyperlinks to take me to your blog as well, so that I might return the favor of a blog visit. Profile links, Google links DO NOT take me directly to your blog, but name url does.